Black Kitchens - the Ultimate Temptation
Black kitchens have been one of the stars of 2020, transforming traditional cooking areas into elegant spaces with bags of character.
Black can be used in so many different ways, from the furniture to the materials, and even the decorations. At the end of the day, the way you use it will ultimately depend on the look you want to achieve.
A black kitchen can be as warm and welcoming as it is sophisticated, with results varying hugely depending on the furnishings and finishes you choose. As such, it’s a color that can work well in rustic-style homes, as well as more modern settings. Give it a go – you’ll be surprised at just how versatile it really is.
Black kitchens: how to create the look
Expand your horizons
As we’ve already mentioned, black kitchens are one of the most exciting trends we’ve seen this year. While they have often featured in some of the most daring designs of the past few seasons, it’s only now that we’re really beginning to see ideas and techniques that are suitable for a wide variety of homes.
Black kitchen fittings work really well in open-plan spaces that combine both cooking and dining areas, allowing you to create a super elegant and modern focal feature for your home, and a kitchen that’s guaranteed to turn heads.
If you’re looking for something a little more subtle, you could incorporate a black central island, and combine it with metal or microcement. For a more industrial look, you could combine the black fittings with concrete or exposed brick instead.
Designing your lighting scheme
When it comes to black kitchens, it’s important to make sure that there’s plenty of natural light. If not, you’ll need to pay particularly close attention to your lighting system, combining central ceiling lights with smaller spotlights to enhance the look, and really bring the room to life.
Choosing the right central lights will allow you to create a warm, pleasant and welcoming atmosphere. At the same time, the additional spotlights will ensure that your work areas are well-lit at all times.
When it comes to black kitchens, we recommend installing recessed ceiling lights to avoid creating any unnecessary shadows, and to ensure there’s a sufficient amount of light. You can also put LED lights along the underside of your cabinets, or along the length of your shelves. Finally, you could also hang suspended ceiling lights over your table or central island.
Black kitchens – gloss or matte?
Another aspect to keep in mind is the finish you want for your furniture. Whether you choose matte or gloss will have a huge impact on the feel of your kitchen.
If you’re looking for a more modern aesthetic or your kitchen doesn’t get much in the way of natural light, it’s best to opt for lacquered, satin or gloss-finish furnishings. This type of furniture is ideal for minimalist interiors. To really complete the minimalist look, avoid furniture with large handles, choosing those with simpler designs instead.
A matte finish will give your kitchen a warmer, more welcoming feel, reminiscent of the boho style. It’s perfect for rustic or Nordic-style homes.
Black kitchens – winning combos
- Black and marble: this is an absolute classic. It’s guaranteed to produce chic and stylish results.
- Black and gold: by using decorative objects or furniture to add touches of gold here and there, you can create a really elegant look for your kitchen. Maisons du Monde have some fantastic items on offer at the moment, with some really interesting designs to choose from.
- Black and wood: if you’re thinking about going for a Nordic-style kitchen, this is the look for you. For a slightly more vintage feel, try choosing a matte finish, and natural wood counters.
- Black and white: this classic combo will never go out of style, perfectly uniting the formality of black with the brightness of white.
- Black and steel: while this combination does have a slightly futuristic feel to it, it’s undoubtedly one of the best looks out there. Ideally, we recommend choosing black furniture, and combining it with stainless steel appliances. Give it a try!
If you enjoy keeping up with the latest trends and want to try out something new, black kitchens are one of the best ways to give your home a modern, sophisticated, and personal touch.It might interest you...