Designing your Own Custom Made Closet
Having a custom made closet is usually much better than any closet you can find in a furniture store. Designing your own custom made closet is the best way to make the very most of your space, as it can be adapted to the exact size and shape of your room.
Plus, there’s no one better than you for designing the layout of your closet space and adapting it to your specific needs. One person might prefer to have a large area for shoes; another might need more space for coat hangers… Every custom made closet reflects the life of its owner.
In this article, we’ll give you some tips to help make designing your custom made closet a piece of cake.
Custom made closets: the doors
One important decision you’ll need to make when it comes to designing your custom made closet is what kind of doors you want. You can find many different types of doors on the market today:
- Hinged doors: this type of door is a classic, and never goes out of style. If you decide to install hinged doors, you need to remember to leave at least 20 inches of space in front of your closet. If, on the other hand, you only have limited space, it might be better to consider one of the other types of doors.
- Folding doors: these doors fold like a concertina when opened. They are less common than other types of doors and, over time, they can start to get stuck if they’re not well-made. We’d recommend avoiding this option if you can.
- Sliding doors: sliding doors have really come into fashion over the last few years. It’s becoming increasingly common to install them in closets, as they hardly take up any space, but are also great for more spacious rooms.
- Curtains: this is a more unique and informal option. Depending on the decor style of your bedroom, these can be the perfect addition. Plus, there are infinite colors and fabrics to choose from, so you’re sure to find one that’s perfect for your needs.
When it’s time to start designing a custom made closets, it’s often difficult to know where to start. One good option is to download an app to help you.
You can find a great variety of apps, both free and paid. They can help you to make blueprints, then design the layout of the interior. Finally, they can even help you choose the materials.
If you’re not great at drawing, these apps are definitely a good option for you.
Lighting your custom made closet
Lighting closets is both useful and innovative. You can put them either outside of inside. Normally, discreet, LED tube lights or similar lights are used. We really love this option, as who hasn’t tried to find something in their closet at night, and only succeeded in making a mess?
In this next section, we’ll give you some ideas for interior and exterior closet lighting that you should keep in mind when it comes to designing your own custom made closet.
- LED strip lighting
- Built-in LED light bulbs
- Classic LED light bulbs
Custom made closets: the finish
Once you’ve designed the interior of your closet, you then have to decide how it will look in the outside. There are lots of different materials to choose from: plastic, wood, metal detailing…
As for the colors, the options are limitless. However, in general, we usually go for cool colors, as they create a more welcoming look.
Another option is to add glass or translucent plastic windows, which will give a feeling of brightness, and break the uniformity of the doors.
Custom made closets: accessories
Once you’ve got your closet, you should try to get as much use out of it as possible. There are lots of different accessories which can help you do this:
- Coat hangers: these are a must-have item in any closet. Wooden, metal or plastic, these are an essential addition to your custom made closet. Multiple coat hangers are really useful for clothes such as hanging trouser and dresses.
- Plastic boxes: perfect for storing small objects or simply for keeping seasonal clothing all in one place, where you can easily find it again when the time comes.
- Clothes bags: these are great if you have delicate clothing that you need to take particular care of. We especially recommend them for long evening dresses, so that they don’t get ripped on stained.
- Hanging shoe racks: these are a really low-cost item and will allow you to store several pairs of shoes without taking up much room.