Why Is Turquoise So Popular in Interior Decor?
Turquoise is one of the most popular colors in interior decor. But why is that? Find out in this article.
Some colors offer a much more attractive decorative aesthetic than others. They can be easily incorporated into a range of different decorative styles, without losing any of their originality or elegance. One of these colors is turquoise.
Turquoise is one of the most popular colors in the world of interior design, both for interiors and exteriors. However, it is most commonly found in bathrooms and bedrooms. But why is that?
Its great popularity stems from its ability to convey two key things – tranquillity and freshness. Plus, because it is such a bright color, it is also commonly associated with a sense of clarity.
Furthermore, it’s important to remember that, for many people, this color represents cool, crystal clear waters, and calls to mind the positive emotions of warm summer vacations and happy days at the beach.
Turquoise – a color full of positive emotions
For the majority of people, turquoise is a beautiful color. On a visual level, it is generally agreed that it is a color full of positive feelings and emotions. In fact, unlike colors such as red and yellow, turquoise isn’t really associated with any negative connotations at all.
However, it’s important to keep in mind that the shade you choose will have a significant impact on the overall look of your decor. As such, you can’t simply choose the same shade for everything. It’s important to learn to play around with tone.
For example, if you decide to use turquoise as a transition element, it’s best to use light rather than vibrant tones. This will help create a more delicate – and, above all, natural look.
If you want to use this color in your bathroom decor, we recommend choosing soft tones to give your room a more subtle and relaxing feel. The same goes for bedrooms, where it’s important to create a calming atmosphere.
Because it simultaneously combines two colors that are closely associated with the natural world – blue and green – turquoise is a color that embodies three distinct concepts – nature, hygiene, and health. This is the main reason it’s often found in bathrooms.
Top tips for incorporating turquoise into your decor
- When it comes to using turquoise, moderation is the key. It’s important to make sure there’s plenty of contrast. If you decorate your room in turquoise from top to bottom, it will feel oppressive and overwhelming.
- There are a few different ways you can maintain a sense of balance: paint a single wall or column, use the half-wall technique, or use decorations and accessories to add small bursts of turquoise at strategic points around the room.
- Turquoise works best with white decor. The purity of this neutral color allows you to create a clear contrast with your turquoise tones, while at the same time uniting them to create a sense of order and tranquillity.
- You don’t need to buy all-white furniture; you could also incorporate light or dark-colored wood furniture.
- Turquoise is a color that can help bring gray decor to life. If gray features heavily in your color pallet, using turquoise can be a great way to brighten up your home.
In the world of interior decor, getting the right combination of colors is fundamental.
Like bathrooms, you can’t paint every inch of your bedroom in bright turquoise.
- One very simple solution is to only paint one wall, eg. the wall directly behind your bed. The rest of the walls can be painted white or gray.
- Try to create a sense of contrast rather than forced harmony. Needless to say, this color doesn’t usually work well with intense, warm colors like yellow, red or orange.
- While you can decorate all the walls in turquoise, it’s important to choose a soft, muted tone. However, you still have to create contrast with your furniture, which can be white, gray or light brown.
- Although it can also be combined with a soft, salmon pink, it’s important to be aware that this will give your room a more formal, elegant and classical feel.
Up until now, we have mainly talked about how to use turquoise on your walls. But what about the rest of the furniture and decorations?
First of all, we have to talk about couches and armchairs. Having turquoise couch covers will give your furniture greater prominence in your living room, instantly transforming it into a more eye-catching and original space.
The same goes for tables and any other pieces of furniture. These will give your rooms a fresh, almost maritime feel.
Finally, having turquoise curtains will help to filter the light, and give your home a more innovative aesthetic.