The Contemporary Casual Style for Your Home
When it comes to modernizing your home, you should use current resources with a technical and avant-garde character. So, let’s learn more about the contemporary casual style, its key features, and how you can apply it.
Being fashionable implies following a series of social precepts. In this case, it’s not a matter of copying or developing a type of decoration that’s been created by a specific specialist. It’s a matter of developing a design that arouses curiosity, attractiveness, and sets new trends.
Undoubtedly, we can’t forget the components that break with traditional stereotypes to open other, more innovative, and aesthetic directions.
The contemporary style in decor
Rather than draw inspiration from past models, this style focuses on a single goal: visualizing the present with a view to the future. However, this concept can be somewhat abstract.
Contemporary meaning is achieved through modern schemes. To clarify, it’s about proposing contemporary aesthetic possibilities for interior design, alongside incorporating other potentially trending schemes.
Originality, novelty, and design can renew the image of our homes. This creates a direct relationship with current society and incorporates other untested, lesser-known scenarios.
Resources of the contemporary casual style
This style is particularly suitable for a city apartment. Without a doubt, it’s very interesting with lots of surprises. The following decorative resources should be highlighted:
- Basic forms: cabinets, shelving, or furniture should comprise straight and systematic lines. The idea is that we draw attention to horizontality and verticality in a generalized way.
- A large sofa: choose a chaise longue or one that covers considerable dimensions. By doing this, the sofa can become the main axis of the room. Neutral or dark tones are also recommendable.
- Rugs are essential: they not only provide color or a recurring pattern, but also comfort. Bamboo and long pile rugs are particularly effective and appealing, depending on the effect you want.
- Functional furniture: tables in the living room and the bedroom, must represent easy and affordable designs that provide harmony with the whole room. Within the contemporary casual style, surfaces shouldn’t have details, carvings, or symbols.
- Swivel armchairs: either with footrests or a leather ottoman armchair can bring a different feel to the interior. Sophistication is considered to be a priority.
How do you achieve the casual look?
This is another important field of interior design. In this instance, the term casual means that it’s admirable enough to reflect uniqueness and distinction–much like the mid-century modern style.
This isn’t just achieved with furniture, but also through abstract wall paintings and the congruent distribution of the general decor.
Coherence and order must be applied at all times, where each piece has a purpose and conveys meaning. Additionally, we mustn’t forget the openness of the space because this is essential to guarantee calm.
The most appropriate colors
To choose the most appropriate color palette, it’s important to start with the meaning we want to convey. An exaggerated impression isn’t what we’re seeking here, neither are illogical contrasts.
The casual contemporary style is characterized by having a simple and basic tonal relationship. Neutral tones such as gray, white, and dark blue should take center stage. Providing some warmth through the use of wood, either on the floor or in the furniture, creates an interesting combination too.
In short, this style is a particular alternative that stands out from the other styles that we previously practiced.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- De Haro Lebrija, Fernando; Fuentes, Omar: Espacios con estilo, AM Editores, 2012.