Everything You Need to Know About Polished Concrete
When talking about one of the most popular coatings in the world of design, polished concrete stands out for being an economical, attractive, and durable option. If you’re looking for an elegant alternative to transform your home, this material can be the perfect solution, as it’s a very versatile option.
Polished concrete can achieve a wide variety of decorative styles and effects, from a minimalist and modern look to imitating the appearance of materials such as natural stone or marble. It’s an advantage that allows you to play with different finishes and personal preferences. Keep reading and explore all the benefits it has to offer.
How is this type of concrete installed?
Polished concrete is used on walls and floors to give a shiny and uniform finish, something that’s achieved by pouring a layer of concrete over an existing surface. Mechanical polishing is performed using a series of tools and abrasive discs to remove imperfections and create a smooth look.
Once the polishing process has been completed, special products can be applied to protect the appearance and improve durability. Sealants can also help prevent stains and damage caused by moisture and harsh cleaners.
The end result is a surface with an appearance similar to marble or granite but at a much lower cost. Plus it’s a stylish, durable, and easy-to-maintain option, making it a popular alternative for homes, shops, and businesses.
The characteristics of polished concrete
One of the main benefits of this material is that, unlike marble, stone, or wood, it’s an economical alternative for outdoor floors. However, keep in mind that its installation cost may vary depending on several factors, such as the complexity of the project and the size and location of the space. These are more of its advantages:
- High resistance: It’s able to withstand daily wear and tear and exposure to moisture and chemicals. Therefore, it’s undoubtedly a very durable material and suitable for outdoors.
- Easy maintenance: Simply use a little water and mild soap to completely clean the surfaces. Thanks to the finishes of this technique, it doesn’t require any special care.
- Modern and versatile finish: Polished cement can adapt to many decor styles, from minimalist to rustic. It can also be dyed in a wide range of colors and add unique patterns and designs.
Is it possible to customize polished concrete?
This technique allows you to play with the imagination and creativity of each owner to create exclusive and elegant designs. Here are some ways polished concrete can be adapted to achieve different looks.
- Color: This material can be dyed in a wide range of shades to achieve the desired look. Dyes are added to concrete before it’s poured onto the surface, allowing for the best color customization.
- Finish: Although the glossy finish is the most used, you can also have a matte look. The mechanical polishing process can be adjusted to achieve different levels of gloss and smoothness.
- Patterns and Designs: Polished concrete can be further customized by using unique designs that are captured with stamping templates. They can be geometric patterns, stone textures, or any other desired appearance.
How easy is it to keep cement polished?
We know that this material stands out compared to other floor finishes in terms of durability, cost, appearance, and maintenance. And unlike wood, stone, or marble, preserving the beauty of polished concrete is as simple as following the following recommendations.
- Provide regular cleaning: These floors should be cleaned with mild soap and water only. Avoid using acidic or abrasive cleaners, as they can damage the sealant and the appearance of the cement.
- Apply a sealant: This is in order to protect it from moisture and stains. Sealing can also help maintain the shine and appearance of the material.
- Don’t use chemicals: It’s important to avoid using bleach and harsh cleaners, as they can wear down the cement. Wax cleaning products should also be avoided because they make the surface slippery and difficult to clean.
- Don’t use heavy machinery: Polished concrete can be susceptible to scratches and marks from tools and heavy objects. If you want to maintain its neat appearance, you must take care of it.
Use polished concrete in your home decoration
If you want to remodel your exteriors or give your living room wall a modern and avant-garde touch, polished concrete is an excellent finish due to its durability, cost, beauty, and maintenance. So, don’t think twice and seek the help of specialized companies to carry out a perfect installation.It might interest you...