5 Resources to Create More Privacy at Home
You can make your house feel more private in different ways. This isn’t to say that you should completely isolate it. Next, we’re going to look at 5 ways to create more privacy at home.
The first thing you need to consider is your living space, both indoors and outdoors. Although we’re social beings, we also need some privacy.
We have an almost constant connection to the world around us. Many of us tend to have a very active life outside our homes and we are constantly in touch with other people. Therefore, we need our homes to be a calm and private place.
1. More privacy at home – using hedges as a screen
Our gardens are often close to the street. As a result, they’re less private than many of our other spaces. Most people want to prevent people from being able to see into the yard.
One way to do this is by using hedges. It’s best to choose ones that have evergreen foliage that lasts throughout the year. For example, species such as photinia and cherry laurel are great options. You can also add shrubs for extra privacy.
It’s best to use dense vegetation that acts as a screen and grows to over six feet. These are easy to prune if you use a quality hedge trimmer.
The goal is to create a division from everything that happens outside the home.
2. Fences for greater privacy
In addition to hedges, you can also use fences to define the perimeter of your garden. These are common in some neighborhoods or towns. Some options are opaque and you can also get fences that are around six feet high.
One particular style of fence is wood or metal with horizontal gaps that allow a slight glimpse of the outside. However, some fences offer complete privacy.
3. Curtains and blinds to cover windows
Once you’re inside, you usually feel like you’re in a private place. However, it’s important to make your home as private as possible. Here are three types of window coverings:
- Firstly, one option is fabric curtains. If these are very thick, they offer a lot of privacy but can make the room feel dark. On the other hand, if you opt for translucent curtains, you get light and still have privacy.
- There are also louver blinds. These can be vertical or horizontal and allow you to regulate the opening and adjust how much light comes in. These come in both metal and fabric.
- Finally, it’s important to consider standard blinds as this is another option that is both economical and functional. These are very simple to put up and they usually allow lots of light in and offer sufficient privacy.
4. How to create more privacy in a loft
Generally, lofts are open and spacious. This means that you need to divide the space into different areas, such as the living room, kitchen, entrance, and bedroom. So how can you create more privacy?
Typically, you should leave the living room and kitchen as an open common space. Then, the bedroom is where you’ll want to create more privacy using screens made or wooden or glass dividers of a certain height.
That way the room isn’t completely closed off, but you also have sufficient privacy and a resource that contributes to the decoration.
5. Separate the living room and dining room
When many people are living in a house, regardless of whether they are family members or roommates, it’s best to create separation between rooms that are very spacious, such as the living room.
One option is to create a division between the dining room and the living room. You can do this with glass, shelves, or even a folding door.
The goal is to create more privacy in your home without losing any continuity of the space.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Gilliatt, Mary: El libro de la decoración, Folio, 1986.
- Margolius, Marcia: Espacios para vivir, Ceac, 2006.