Closets or Dressing Rooms: Which is the Best?
If you’re remodeling or adapting the bedrooms in your home, it’s normal to have doubts when choosing between closets and dressing rooms.
Well, in this article we’re going to tell you about the characteristics of each one and its advantages. This way, it’ll be easier to make a decision according to the needs of each person.
Closets are traditional items of furniture where we keep our clothes and clothing-related accessories. Its main characteristic is that it has doors, which can be sliding or open outwards. In addition, they’re made in materials such as wood, glass or PVC.
They’re useful and discreet. All items stored there will be out of the visual reach of those who enter the room. Closets are an ideal option when it comes to small apartments, even more so considering that they can be made to measure.
Advantages and disadvantages of closets
So that you can decide which is the best option for you, we’ll tell you about the advantages and disadvantages of closets:
- They can be installed in any bedroom: closets are very versatile and can be adapted to bedrooms of different sizes. They’re very useful when it comes to taking advantage of difficult or asymmetrical spaces.
- They don’t accumulate dust (inside): closet doors work as a barrier that prevents dust or other types of dirt from entering the interior.
- Variety of opening systems: doors can be hinged, sliding, invisible, or folding–choose the one that best suits your space.
- They come in different styles and materials: closets come in materials such as wood, PVC, MDF, and glass. In addition, there are also different styles–all with the aim of adapting to your decor.
- They can generate bad smells: if the closet stays closed all the time or you store sweaty clothes there, bad odors or humidity can be generated.
- They have a higher installation cost than a dressing room: the materials and the door opening system raise the cost of installation.
The function of the dressing room is the same as the closet, storing clothes and clothing-related accessories in there. However, it requires a larger space. Unlike closets, dressing rooms have several compartments to organize clothes and are open plan.
In addition, they usually have one or more mirrors (from floor to ceiling), so you can visualize yourself in each outfit in a complete way, for which good lighting is also required. Although the larger the dressing room, the more comfortable you’ll be. They can also be built to suit the space you have available.
Advantages and disadvantages of dressing rooms
You already know the advantages and disadvantages of closets. So now it’s time to get to know those that relate to dressing rooms. This ensures that you can make the decision that suits you best.
- You have more space: this is the biggest advantage! Dressing rooms are designed to store and organize as many clothes as possible in a space where we can also stand, move and sit.
- You’ll feel more comfortable: because you have a larger space at your disposal. With mirrors, you’ll feel at ease trying out your clothes and making any changes as you consider necessary.
- You can sort your clothes by season: since you have a larger space than closets usually offer, you have the advantage of organizing your clothes by season, color, and style. This also makes finding your clothes easier.
- They can be cheaper than closets: taking into account that they don’t have doors or special opening systems, the installation cost may be less than that of cabinets. Although you should know that this will also depend on the materials and size.
- Cleaning must be regularly carried out: since there’s no barrier for dust, you may need to clean the interior of the dressing room more often than a closet.
Closet or dressing rooms: which is the best?
Both closets and dressing rooms have their advantages and disadvantages. Choosing the best one will depend on your tastes, the space you have, and what you prefer when dressing. If you find it comfortable to dress in your bedroom and it’s a ritual that you don’t spend a lot of time on, the closet is the best option.
Now, if you enjoy trying different options, while looking in the mirror, the dressing room could be the best choice for you.It might interest you...