5 Tips to Keep Your Kitchen Tidy and Clean
There’s no point in decorating your home if your kitchen isn’t tidy and clean. You can have the most beautiful and modern kitchen, but the lack of order and cleanliness can throw your efforts overboard. Many times we try to fix this space, but when we need to use it continuously, in the blink of an eye, everything is turned upside down.
This is the reason why we’re sharing five simple tips that’ll help you keep your kitchen tidier and cleaner for longer. Don’t think it’s possible? Read on and check it out.
A clean and tidy kitchen: five infallible tips
In the kitchen we have pots, pans, spices, spoons, ladles and the list goes on. All this is essential when cooking, but having it in the wrong place or, worse, without a specific place for each thing, is the first step to having a messy and dirty kitchen. If this is your case, follow these five tips.
1. Eliminate what you don’t use
There are so many dishes that we can prepare and multiple utensils that we need in each case, that it’s easy to start accumulating. Still, you don’t know when you might need something that you have in storage. However, why have a lobster tongs, if you never cook or eat this dish at home?
So, to have that neat and clean magazine cover kitchen put your heart aside and start throwing away everything that takes up space and that you’ll never use. Take out all your utensils and divide them between what you’ll keep and what you throw away. You’ll soon realize that all they do is take up space.
This step should also be applied to the food you have stored. Take it out, check the expiration date and throw away anything that’s expired.
2. Organization is the key to a tidy kitchen
Now, what’s left must be saved, but not as it was, you must think strategically. Choose a place for each utensil and for each food item. Prioritize the ones you use frequently, so you won’t have to mess everything up to get to it when you need it. Keep the following tricks in mind:
- Use shelves to store your most-used utensils and food.
- Put a cutlery organizer in the drawers.
- Pack food in marked glass jars or tin containers for quick identification.
- Put in order any dressings that you have from a grocery store.
- If you have a lot of things that you can’t throw away, choose a mobile island.
- Take advantage of basket-type drawers to organize plates in the best possible way.
- Install a steel bar on the wall to hang your utensils such as ladles and pans.
3. Cooking area and impeccable dishes
The cooking zone must always be clean and spotless, otherwise the kitchen will look dirty and disorganized. When preparing food in it, it’s normal for it to get dirty, but there are some tricks that can prevent fats from sticking and make it easier to clean after use.
- If you use gas, keep your hob clean and disinfected with a mixture of vinegar, three tablespoons of baking soda and a liter of water.
- If you have a glass-ceramic, it’ll be enough to clean it with a special cleaning and grease destruction product. To remove stuck food remains, use a wooden or plastic shovel to avoid scratching the plate.
Cleaning also applies to the dishes. The idea is that everything that gets dirty is washed as soon as possible, no leaving piles of dishes one day after another. It helps to wash the pots and utensils that are used, while you’re cooking. In this way, when you finish eating, you only need to wash the dishes.
4. Keep countertops clear for a tidy kitchen
Countertops are the perfect place to put things: a bowl, some plates, some spices and out of nowhere, everything is there. Although that’s its function, if we’re looking to have an orderly and clean kitchen, we mustn’t be tempted to do this. Use shelves, drawers, and mobile islands instead.
You must bear in mind that we prepare food on the countertops, therefore, the clearer and cleaner they are, the safer the food preparation will be. During the cleaning process, avoid the use of scented soaps, as well as the use of toxic products. You can use the same soap with which you wash the dishes and you can disinfect with vinegar.
5. Avoid very large pots
Large pots such as paella or custard pots aren’t ideal unless you have a large kitchen with extra drawers. Due to their size, it’s better to store them in another place where they’re also organized, but without taking up space that could serve to clear your kitchen a little more.
The same applies to other types of large items. In the case of the sandwich maker, the blender and the mixer, among others, set aside a large drawer where you can have them at hand, but not on the counter. Since they don’t visually generate a sense of order and cleanliness.
If you want to have a clean and tidy kitchen avoid the following:
In addition to these five tips, if you want to have an orderly and clean kitchen there are some things that you shouldn’t do at all:
- Leave the hygiene implements such as soap, scrubber, and cloth in view, they should also have a special space.
- Don’t collect food scraps in the drain.
- Leaving cleaning cloths lying around or on the counter isn’t great either. They require special spaces such as drawers or hanging bars.
- Store purchases in view. It’s important that everything remains in the place you’ve destined.
Enjoy a neat and clean kitchen!
Make no mistake about it, implement these tips and your kitchen will be tidy and clean in no time.
When you’re ready, make the necessary changes until everything is in a place that allows you to access it easily. Accessing your items is also part of success and that you feel comfortable with your space.It might interest you...