Decorating Your Home with Abstract Art
Abstract art is a painting technique that uses different styles. It’s a very interesting resource for interior design. So, why not use abstract art to decorate your home?
We’re used to seeing this type of artwork in museums and galleries, especially contemporary pieces which include abstract art. However, you don’t need to know about art to decorate your home with artwork. You simply need to find and appreciate the pieces you pick, alongside understanding how they’ll complement the rest of your decor.
Keep reading, as we’ll talk about the characteristics and tips that’ll help you pick the right abstract-style pieces for your home. We’ll also explain how to display them.
What is abstract art?
The abstract painting style was developed in the 20th century, by Wassily Kandinsky.
The contrast that he created between this kind of painting and other more symbolic-realist paintings, created all kinds of discrepancies between theorists, artists, and society.
What happened at the start of the 20th century ended up becoming the Avant-guard style. This is a new way of expression because it goes beyond its form in order to conform to a new style.
How to pick the best art
To choose an abstract painting that works well with your home, you don’t have to be an art expert. You don’t even have to hire a professional to advise you.
You simply need to keep the following characteristics in mind:
- Consider the kind of home decor you have: is it minimalist, rustic, industrial, or urban? If so, abstract art will perfectly fit your home. On the other hand, if you have a classic, Victorian, elegant, or similar style, you should reconsider whether abstract art will fit with your style.
- Visualize the colors of your walls and furniture. From there, pick a painting that works well and matches your decor and accessories.
- Pick the piece that you like the most. This includes the colors and shapes depicted.
- You shouldn’t pick a piece that you don’t like, just because it matches your decor. Be practical and buy something that you really like, and are interested in.
- It’s not necessary to buy expensive abstract art from a famous artist. There are lots of up-and-coming artists and incredible works you can pick from at a decent price.
Places you can hang abstract art
Depending on how you want to use your painting, you can hang it in almost any room. The particular spot where you hang it will depend on if the area is used a lot or whether it’s just a transition area.
Taking all of this into consideration, some of the most interesting spaces to hang your painting are:
- The living room: this option is the most popular because this is the place where you and your guests spend most of your time. So, a painting on the wall can offer character and personality.
- The hallway: never stops being a transition space. You can hang lots of different kinds of paintings here and the audience will enjoy them, even though it’s in passing.
- The dining room: this is a place where you sit for a while, welcome guests, and eat your meals. As a result, hanging abstract art here will create focus in the room.
- The bedroom: if you hang it above your headboard, it can give the room a theme, and above all, personality.
Ultimately, the importance of where you hang your abstract art depends on what you want it to achieve. Alongside who you want to show it off to, and the amount of time you spend in that place.
Places you can buy abstract art
As a general rule, large cities usually hold art shows, events, and galleries that focus on artists who use certain artistic styles. We recommend going to these and researching the different artists. You can compare prices and enjoy the art at the same time. This is the only way you’ll find out which painting is best for your home.
Equally, there are art stores in almost every city where you can view paintings and buy them. Either way, it’s important to visit as many stores and galleries as possible to get a feel for what you like and perhaps most importantly, what you don’t like.
Abstract art is making its way into homes. In reality, this kind of art gives a modern, contemporary, and original touch. However, always choose a piece with your home and personality in mind.It might interest you...