How To Build Your Own Garden Trellis
Whether you use it to grow flowers, create dividers, or even to build a pergola, a beautiful garden trellis will make the perfect addition to your yard. In this article, we’ll show you some of the different ways you can use trellises, and give you a step-by-step guide on how to make one yourself. Believe us when we say, it’s easier than you think!
Where to install your garden trellis
You may think that garden trellises are only suitable for huge gardens. Nothing could be further than the truth. Nowadays, trellises are becoming increasingly popular features on terraces and balconies, as well as gardens.
1. Decorating walls and fences
Whether you want to give your yard an oriental feel, or you’re looking for a way to embellish your old walls, trellises are great for all kinds of different spaces, including terraces, balconies, and patios. Plus, you can use them to grow plants and flowers.
2. Rose trellises
Rose bushes are really beautiful plants to have in your backyard. If they have enough support, you can encourage them to grow in a certain pattern. This is where trellises come in. They can be used to make your plants grow wherever you want, making them ideal for large yards and gardens.
3. Garden trellis pergolas
Taking this idea one step further, you can also use trellises to create your own pergola. This will give you a beautiful place to cool off in the summer, or a sheltered spot to enjoy a crisp winter’s day. You can also grow plants and flowers on the trellis walls, and even the ceiling, creating a charming and intimate space right in your backyard.
4. Fencing off fountains, ponds, and pools
Garden trellises aren’t just designed for aesthetic purposes – they can also be used to fence off certain areas of your yard. If, for example, you have a fountain you don’t want pets or children climbing in, trellises can be a great option. To make the most of them, you can also use them to grow climbing plants and vines. They’re also a great choice for fencing off pools and ponds.
5. Porch roofs
If you want to protect your patio or balcony from the elements, but you don’t want to install a solid roof that might reduce the amount of natural light in your home, a trellis might be just what you need. You can leave your trellis bare, or use plants to create a natural roof.
6. Garden trellis vertical orchard
Don’t have enough space to grow your own vegetable patch at home? A garden trellis can be a fantastic alternative. You can use it to plant vegetables that grow on vines, such as tomatoes or squash. And, of course, you can also take the opportunity to plant aromatic plants and herbs.
A step-by-step guide to building your garden trellis
We’re sure by now you’re already starting to come up with your own ideas on how to use garden trellises in your backyard. If you’re good with your hands and are looking for your next DIY project, take a look at the following step-by-step guide. Making your garden trellis is a lot easier than you might think.
- 8 wood boards measuring 1 ½ inch x 1 ½ inch x 8 feet
- A set of 2 ½ inch outdoor wood screws
- Sanding machine
- Measuring tape
- Eye protection
- Exterior wood paint (or varnish)
1. First, you’ll need to measure and cut your wooden boards so that you end up with seven 48 inch boards and four 72 inch boards. These will determine the dimensions of your trellis. If you want it to be wider or shorter, it might be best to buy made-to-measure wood. As an optional step, you can also cut several smaller pieces of wood (about 6 inches in length) to use as spacers.
2. Use the longer boards to make the frame for your trellis, using the screws to attach them. Sand the wood thoroughly to remove any imperfections.
3. Decide how far apart you want each board to be, and measure it out carefully. If you want to create a finer weave for your lattice, you’ll probably need a few more wood boards.
4. Once you’ve finished building the structure for your trellis, it’s simply a matter of sanding it down to remove any imperfections, before applying a coat of paint. Some people also choose to use wood varnish to make sure it’s weatherproof.
Now that you know how to make a garden trellis, the next step is to think about where you’re going to put it and what you’re going to use it for. Give it a go!It might interest you...