Decorate Your Children's Rooms with Kites
You can use fun kite ideas to add some personality to your children's rooms. Here are some ideas.
Want to jazz up your children’s rooms? Do you want to create a more intimate setting? If clouds, little houses or cartoon animals never really convinced you, we have another idea – decorate with kites.
Kites have become one of the hottest decor trends for children’s rooms. They’re perfect for rooms for babies or small children because they create great contrast with the surrounding decor accessories.
In our post today, we have some ideas for you to try. We’ll also show you a simple project for decorating your walls with kites. Don’t miss out!
Decorating children’s rooms with kites
Kites have a special meaning for kids. They usually evoke play and fun, making them a great option for creating a playful setting for children’s rooms.
They have especially interesting shapes and designs that work for creating simple yet original compositions. Additionally, they can also be a more economical option compared to other decor accessories as you can make them by reusing materials.
How can you get started?
To decorate a children’s room with kites, you don’t need to make things complicated. In fact, whipping our your creative side to create something beautiful is all you need. How does that sound? Just keep the following ideas in mind:
- Decorate one of the walls: try using a large decal of a kite or use fabric or colorful paper to make one. Or make a composition by using several small kites.
- Hang them from the ceiling: if you want to decorate your children’s ceiling, make small plastic or construction paper kites. Once they’re ready, attach them to some string and hang them from the ceiling throughout the room. Try not to overwhelm the ceiling space. While keeping things balanced, try making an original set-up with clouds, kites, and flags.
- Kite patterns for blankets and pillows: another quick, easy way to decorate with kites is looking for kite patterns for blankets and pillows. You can even make them yourself by using scraps of fabric, handkerchiefs, ribbons and other materials.
- Make a kite streamer: if you’d rather not fix anything onto the walls, try a streamer with little kites. Hang it from one wall to another and create a focal point.
Make kites out of old T-shirts
Like we said before, decorating with kites doesn’t have to be an expensive project. A simple, economical way to decorate is using old T-shirts. Check out the instructions below:
- Old cotton T-shirt
- Mod podge
- A container
- Two strong branches
- Hot glue gun
- Fabric or ribbon scraps
- Cut a diamond out of the T-shirt. If you don’t have an old T-shirt, feel free to use fabric scraps. Fold the top part of the shirt in half.
- Next, start cutting from the fold outwards toward the edge of the fabric in a diagonal line.
- Now cut again, this time from the edges back towards the center, towards the neckline. Clean up the leftover scraps of fabric.
- Open the shirt and cut downwards so that the two bottom halves are longer. The shirt should look like a kite.
- Next, reinforce the fabric by applying mod podge. First prepare a 1:1 mixture of mod podge and hot water.
- When you have your mixture, submerge the shirt and wring it out.
- Leave the fabric on a flat surface outside to dry for 10 to 12 hours. If you want to speed up the process, use a hairdryer.
- Take your strong branches and fashion them into a cross that will fit onto your kite. Cut if necessary.
- Glue the branches onto the fabric. Press the ends of the branches into the corners of the fabric to make sure they’re well attached.
- Cut the sisal and attach it to your kite. Lastly, use the fabric scraps and ribbons to decorate it.
- And you’re done! Now you only have to fix it onto a wall in your child’s bedroom.
Ready to make your kite? You’ll love how easy and cute it’ll look.