How to Make the Most of your Bedroom Space
Over time, we end up collecting more and more things in our bedrooms. It often becomes increasingly difficult to keep everything organized and stop our rooms from becoming cluttered. Here, we’ll give you some advice so that you can make the most of your bedroom space.
Whether your room is small, or you simply have too many belongings, our advice will help you realize that bedrooms can actually be the perfect place to keep things.
The first thing you need to check is the layout. Why not try moving the furniture around? It’s possible that rearranging things in a different way might help you to start to make the most of your bedroom space. Normally, we buy furniture and then never move it again.
Don’t be afraid to come up with a new arrangement. You might find that you not only gain more bedroom space, but that this change will bring a breath of fresh air to your room.
Once you’ve got the furniture arranged properly and you’ve removed some of the furniture you no longer use, it’s time to start really making the most of your bedroom space.
Bedroom space – under the bed
The space under your bed is the perfect place to keep things that you don’t use very often. While not a very convenient place to keep things that you’ll be taking out and putting away again frequently, it’s a very handy place to keep boxes. One of the main advantages of keeping things under your bed is that they’ll be completely out of sight. Your bed sheets will cover them, and no one will know that you’re keeping things under there.
But then again, why not use it as a chance to add a bit of extra decoration to your room? If you buy a set of shorter bed sheets that will allow you to see underneath, some nice wicker baskets or decorative boxes will not only make really useful storage space, but they’ll look great too.
Although you can choose any kind of box, we really recommend that you choose one with a lid. It can get pretty dusty under your bed, and a lid will help protect your belongings.
Bedroom space – behind the door
All too often, the space behind our bedroom doors goes completely unused. In this next section, we’ll give you some ideas on how you can best use this area of your bedroom.
- Coat hooks: It’s always good to have a coat hook or two in your bedroom. They’re the perfect place to hang coats and jackets, and a great way to save space in your wardrobe. If you usually leave your bedroom door open, they’ll be completely out of sight. Hooks are also great for children’s bedrooms – there are so many fun and imaginative designs that they’re sure to love. Just remember to put the hooks at the right height so that they can reach their clothes themselves.
- Mirrors: If you don’t have any free wall space, putting a mirror on your door is a great solution. Whether it is a small mirror or a full-length one, it’s sure to look great, and has the added benefit of making the room look bigger when the door is closed.
- Accessories: If you’re someone whose jewelry is always in a bit of a jumble, this is the perfect solution. All you need to do is put a hook on the door, and you can hang a jewelry organizer. They come with lots of different compartments so you can keep all your pendants, rings and necklaces perfectly organized. Plus, because they’re made of transparent plastic, you’ll be able to find everything easily, without having to rummage around for hours every time you want something.
If you’re furnishing a small bedroom, multi-purpose furniture is the best solution. It’s practical, comfortable, and really useful, so keep this option in mind before you go for more “conventional” furniture. There’s more and more variety available out there when it comes to this type of furniture. Here are just a few examples, so that you can see just how clever and practical they are:
- Bed and study area: if a child’s or a teenager’s bedroom is slightly lacking in space, a loft bed helps create some extra room. The area underneath is the perfect place to put a desk and chair for a study space. However, you’ll have to think carefully about where you place the bed. After all you don’t want your study area to be dark and gloomy.
- Storage beds: if you don’t know where to keep your blankets or coats in the summer – or any other items that take up a lot of bedroom space – the best thing to do is buy a storage bed. They’re so practical. You simply lift up the mattress to get your things, making them the perfect place to keep your seasonal clothes.