Ways to Create a Distressed Wood Look on Furniture
A distressed wood look on furniture will help you create a different look to any area. Therefore, let’s see what distressed wood look means.
Usually, in interior design, we try to give a room an attractive and interesting aesthetic. The ideal is to create a cohesive design between the style you’re trying to achieve and the objects you’re using.
The main purpose is creating comfortable and attractive spaces. Let’s take a look at a project that can help you change the dynamic of your home interior.
Distressed Wood Look on Furniture
When you inherit old furniture from your parents or grandparents, you understand its historical and emotional value. If it’s in a good condition, but looking a little worn out, you can work on the wood in a way that looks good and vintage.
It’s possible it already has that slightly distressed look. For this reason, it’s worth noting that, if you want to, you can polish the surface, make it look better, paint it if you need to, and add a protective coating.
This way, you’ll get that vintage look you can use for a farmhouse look or the rustic style. This furniture looks great in the kitchen, the living room, the dining room, the hall, or the bedroom.
How to create a distressed wood look
To create a distressed wood look, you don’t need to scour the furniture’s surface. Actually, you can carry out a simple procedure to create a vintage look. Let’s see what to do next:
- First, it’s better if the furniture is in its natural state. It doesn’t matter if it’s new or used, the main thing is that it’s in good condition to be worked on.
- Add a coat of wood tinge over the surface, using just enough to cover the entire surface. Before you do this, varnish and seal the wood so it’s in good condition.
- Once the paint has dried, begin the sanding. This way, a few areas will look worn, and the brown of the wood will be slightly visible. The main goal is to make it look natural as if this is its original look.
- Lastly, add a coating of wax that will protect the paint and the wood. This will also help protect the wood against humidity and other harmful things that can affect its integrity and look. Also, it’ll give a shiny look.
Getting that rustic look just right
In rustic design, the distressed wood look fits well. There’s no doubt this is the best design style for this kind of decoration. Using distressed wood and old design resources, you can achieve this aesthetic.
You can make wood look even more distressed by making dents. Try to make them look as natural as possible through the imperfections. Now, over to you to create original decorative pieces.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- AA. VV.: Carpintería para el hogar, Larousse Editorial, 2007.
- Nutsch, Wolfgang: Tecnología de la madera y el mueble, Reverté S.A., 2000.