Tips for Building a Fire Pit in Your Backyard
A fire pit is a circular or square structure that sits in the garden. In cold weather, having a fire pit is a perfect way to enjoy the outdoors.
A fire pit is are normally associated with country houses, although some people opt to build one in their backyards.
A fire pit is a round fireplace built on the patio with seats surrounding it. It’s the perfect way to enjoy the outdoors during any time of the year. Keep reading to find out more.
Tips before building a fire pit
A fire pit is set up outdoors. It can be used as a decorative object or as a barbecue pit or stove.
Having a fire pit in the backyard can be the perfect excuse for gathering with friends or family, sitting outside covered with a blanket on cold days and staying warm, or playing games and doing outdoor activities with children.
Before starting, you need to consider some very important elements:
1. The design
A fire pit can be round or square, made above the ground, be of different sizes, supported on four legs, etc. We recommend that you look at different examples, either from magazines or online, and choose the one that you like the most. Also, make sure the one you choose suits your needs.
2. The location
Where will you place the fire pit? Deciding this is essential because it determines how small or large it will be. Some people choose to build it in the center of their backyard, and others choose to place it on the side, in a hidden location. Therefore, think carefully about where you want it to be.
3. The preparation
You can buy a pre-assembled fire pit and install it wherever you want, or build it yourself. If you’re a handyman, we recommend the second option. However, if you’re not sure that you’ll be able to do it right or if you have a small budget, go for a pre-assembled model.
If you have a fire pit in your backyard, you must keep in mind that it takes up space. Therefore, get your time and money’s worth by using it to the maximum.
If you’re a homebody and don’t leave your home much, perhaps this is the perfect time to start changing your habits and going outside more.
Steps to build a fire pit
If you’re interested in building this decorative and functional item in your backyard yourself, you need to have all the necessary materials, such as:
- Fire pit ring (you must buy it already assembled)
- Bricks or stones (or the material you want to surround it with)
- Gravel to fill the bottom of the pit
- Bricklayer’s trowel
Steps to follow to build a fire pit
- Determine where the fire pit will be. It shouldn’t be near branches, cables, or other objects that can be damaged by fire or heat.
- Measure the diameter or perimeter of the area (if it is circular or square) where you want to build it and clean out the area, including grass and other debris.
- Dig a pit about six meters deep and pour in three meters of gravel.
- Place the first row of stones or bricks around the pit and bond them together with cement. You can use a level to ensure that everything is aligned.
- After the first row is dry, start the second one. Allow the second row to dry before starting on the third rows and any thereafter.
- Fill the pit with more gravel and soil or small stones if desired.
- Place the fire pit ring inside, and wood or logs in the center to light the fire.
- You can surround the area with seats, a sofa, or a row of benches with cushions. Put cushions on top of the furniture to make them more comfortable to sit on.
It’s not difficult to build your fire pit, and it will provide warmth and comfort when sitting outdoors in the cold. Get planning!