3 Easy Ideas for Backyard Swings
You can make charming backward swings out of simple materials or old objects like car tires.
If we have enough space in our backyards, leisure features like swings are a great idea. Even if you don’t have children, backyard swings can add a joyful or even romantic feel to your home exterior.
Fortunately, there are many ways to make backyard swings out of simple, low-cost objects. You can also try using old items that you have just sitting around at home like old car tires or pallets.
3 ways to make backyard swings
In our post today, we have three lovely ideas for making your own swings. Once you find the perfect spot for them, it’s time to get to work.
Before diving into our ideas, we want to stress that you should choose a sturdy tree with strong branches for a safe swing.
1. Jute and wood backyard swings
Our first swing idea is definitely a romantic visual treat. The best part about it is that it’s easy to make because you only need a wooden board and some thick rope.
- 2 hooks.
- Thick rope (jute or hemp).
- 1 light rectangular board or old shelf.
- Clean and sand your board carefully if you find any irregularities or imperfections.
- Once completely smooth, apply a coat of varnish and leave it to dry completely.
- Using the drill, make two holes, one on each side of the board. Secure the hooks into the board.
- Pass a piece of rope through each hook and make a sailor’s knot.
- Now, throw the rope over the branch where you want to hang the swing. Adjust the height accordingly and make another sailor’s knot. Make sure that the knots are secure.
2. Tire swing
- 2 rings.
- 1 car tire.
- Thick rope.
- 4 sturdy hooks.
- First and foremost, clean and let the tire dry completely.
- Take your tire and lay it down flat on the ground.
- Using the drill, make four holes at an equal distance from each other. They should form the four points of a square.
- Fit the hooks into the holes and make sure they’re securely in place.
- Make 3 or 4 small holes on the bottom of the tire to create a drainage system in cases of rain.
- Pass the rope through the hooks and make knots. Position the rings on the rope accordingly to balance the weight distribution on the tire.
- To finish, throw the ropes over the strongest branch on a tree and hang the swing.
3. Wooden pallet backyard swing
This idea is a charming, economical and easy swing set to grace any backyard. Pallets are very versatile and a swing is just one of the many projects you can make with them.
- 2 medium-sized pallets.
- Vinyl glue or screws.
- Thick rope or chains.
- Spray paint (in your choice of color).
- Optional: varnish
- Make sure that your pallets are either medium or small in size. If you only have big pallets, cut them down into a smaller dimension.
- Set up one pallet vertically and another horizontally. Next, fix them together with vinyl glue or screws. If you use vinyl glue, make sure to let it dry completely before moving on to the next step.
- After, decorate your swing. Or, paint it or simply apply a layer of varnish for a natural finish.
- You can use thick rope or chains to hang your swing. Regardless of what you choose, make sure that the swing is secure.
Make your swings more comfortable by adding soft rugs or cushions to them.
As you’ve read with us today, there are all kinds of ways to make backyard swings. Chose your favorite materials and objects and get to work! Remember to take your time to find the best place to hang it and enjoy!