Polymer Clay Pendants
Whether you want to use them as jewelry or hang them around your house, you can make your own pendants. In our post today, we want to talk about polymer clay pendants that can embellish any room in your home.
These pendants are a sort of artisan craft. They’re handmade and instead of stores, are often sold at bazaars or flea markets.
They’re very original, beautiful and different. Though they don’t offer an exceptionally rare decor style, they’re very practical for both elegant and casual occasions.
What is polymer clay?
Have you ever heard of polymer clay? Polymer clay is a type of modeling clay that hardens when baked in an oven.
You can shape it into anything as it’s a very soft, pliable material. Imagination plays the most important role in these creations.
You can mix colors and create different shapes to form original items. Also, these creations are intimate as you make them with your own hands – they’re unique.
Handcrafts are a practical form of art.
The tools you need to get started
You’ll need a set of tools to help you shape, design and build your clay:
- Polymer clay: you can buy this on the internet, at bazaars or art and craft stores.
- Box cutter
- Roller pin
How to make polymer clay pendants
Clay pendants are a simple craft. But make sure you use your imagination to convert the clay into a really special pendant:
- Use the box cutter to cut the clay into chunks. Calculate how much clay you’ll need depending on the size you plan on making your pendant. Feel free to use different colors together.
- Next, soften the clay with your rolling pin. Smooth or flatten it out as much as you want.
- If you want a thicker pendant, remember to use enough clay to create the form you want.
- Now, make a hole on the top part of the pendant for the string. Use a thin stick to punch in a hole.
- After, bake the pendant for 30-40 minutes at 120º C. But stay close and check on it to make sure that the clay hardens properly.
- Finally, add a layer of varnish to keep it protected and shiny.
Polymer clay techniques
There are two techniques you can try with polymer clay and they’re both very simple:
- To make a beautiful murrine design, you’ll need at least two different colors of clay. Roll them out and stack them on top of each other. After, roll them into a cylinder and cut little pieces off to reveal a special design inside.
- Or, if you want a fading effect, roll out two different colors of clay. Next, combine them, making sure that the color distribution is 50:50. Next, pass them through a clay roller or pasta machine as many times as you need to get the faded effect you want.
The different types of pendants that you can make
Polymer clay offers so many possibilities. It’s easy to shape and in just an hour, you can make a new piece of jewelry to show off.
You can make all kinds of designs like geometrical, abstract, crazy lines or basic pieces. Or why not mix and match colors and design ideas?
You can also use polymer clay to make figurines, animals or anything else you want. Remember that it’s a material that has an alternative feel – it’s more casual than fine or metal pieces of jewelry.It might interest you...