How Do You Get Rid of Scratches on Parquet?
Is your parquet looking worn? It's time to get to work to fix it. We'll show you how to get rid of scratches on parquet quickly and efficiently.
If you take a close look at the floor of your house, you’ll probably find a high number of imperfections. This is especially true if you have wood flooring. But fear not – there are solutions to this problem. So, you might ask, how exactly do you get rid of scratches on parquet?
Keeping your floor clean and free of scratches is worth the effort. And don’t use rugs to hide these imperfections. You should only use rugs for decorative purposes.
Take the bull by the horns and repair whatever’s in bad shape. Objects can scratch the floor by moving over or falling onto it. This can damage the floor. If you’re careful, you can avoid this some of the time, but not always.
Main problems you’ll encounter when you try to remove scratches on parquet
If you have a parquet floor, it’ll probably suffer scratches sooner or later. These are the most common imperfections on parquet floors. That’s because just dragging a chair across the floor of this material is going to cause some damage.
The same thing can happen when something falls onto the floor. This could be, for example, a glass. When an object hits the floor, it can do some real damage. Those types of falls tend to leave visible marks.
This is especially common when you have children. They tend to play on the floor and could leave your floor with scratches and dents. To prevent this, you could try putting a rug down. If that’s not possible, then you’ll have to learn how to remove these marks.
What do we mean when we say “sunken wood?” It’s like a scratch, but a particularly deep one. This ends up leaving a thin but deep crevice in the material. How do you fix that?
The best way is probably to put a little water in the gap and leave it there for 24 hours. It doesn’t have to be too much – a little goes a long way. This causes the wood to expand and subsequently close the gap.
You can use a syringe or paintbrush to put the water in. Some devices allow you to apply water. Make sure you don’t use too much liquid. It’s not good for the wood to be subjected to excessive moisture.
What should you do if pieces of the floor come out?
Below are ideas on how to fix your floor if pieces of wood come out.
- You can use wax to replace the piece of broken off parquet. The important thing is for you to somehow cover it so it looks like it originally did.
- You should heat the wax and melt it so that you can put it over the surface directly. One way to do that is to put it in a bowl. Then you can use a hairdryer to melt it while you’re pouring it in.
- It’s essential for you to finish taking care of the chipped area and to leave nothing uncovered.
- You might have residue around the work area. It’s important to clean everything up and remove all of the unnecessary wax.
- It’s a good idea to use wax of the same color as the wood. If you can’t find this, use one that’s a little lighter. Then you can color it in with a special wood marker to try and even out the color.
Some good advice for getting rid of scratches on parquet
If it’s not a severe imperfection and it’s not too visible, just using the marker can be enough. Yet when the problem is very pronounced, you’re going to have to fix it.
To prevent any type of surface scratch, you have to make sure that the legs of chairs and tables have felt pads. That’s the only way you’ll be able to prevent any flooring damage. You might come to regret not taking preventative measures otherwise.