How to Decorate a Bedroom - our Top Tips
At some point or other, we’ve all wondered how we should decorate our bedroom. If you’re starting from scratch with an empty room, you’ll often find you’re not sure which direction to go in. You like lots of different ideas, but don’t know which to go for, and can’t rule out any of them. Plus, no matter how much you might like them, sometimes they simply aren’t practical.
Firstly, you’ll need to think about who is going to sleep in the room – a child’s room is not the same as a teenager’s or an adult’s room. With this in mind, you’ll instantly be able to narrow down the search – or at least, where some things are concerned.
When it comes to decorating a child’s room, you can try to choose furniture that’s suitable for all ages, and which the child can continue to use as they get older.
Next, we’ll give you some advice that you’ll need to keep in mind when it comes to starting to decorate your bedroom.
Space and dimensions
The most important thing is to correctly measure all of the available space, to make sure you make the very most of it. Keep in mind that some elements like beams or columns can be used in lots of different ways. For example, you can cover the columns with posters or pictures, or even put up some small shelves to create an extended shelving unit.
Alternatively, you can always order made-to-measure furniture. This way, you’ll ensure that you make the most of all the available space. What’s more, you’ll be able to personalize it yourself later on, to get a stunning and unique look.
It’s also important to pay attention to proportions and scale, so that you can create a balanced bedroom. Remember, if it’s a smaller room, you can make it look more spacious by adding some mirrors, which are really useful accessories.
How to decorate a bedroom – the importance of stylistic unity
This is perhaps stating the obvious, but it needs to be said. It’s always important to maintain visual continuity in any room.
For that, you need to keep the following things in mind:
- Walls: if you don’t want to paint them all the same color, you should try to choose colors which complement each other. This also goes for painted wallpaper, which can be applied to one or all of the walls.
- Textiles: it’s important that there’s at least some harmony between the curtains, carpets and bed sheets. This doesn’t necessarily mean the patterns – what we’re really talking about is the textures and colors. This is something you really have to pay special attention to.
- Furniture: as far as possible, try to make sure that all of the furniture is of the same style. In many shops, you’ll find that you can buy a complete matching set of furniture. Obviously, this is the best option if you want to have a bedroom that matches. However, you can get the same effect by buying furniture separately, in different stores and at different times. You just need to have a good eye.
This is pretty basic. As time goes on, you’ll accumulate lots of things you won’t want to part with, so it’s a good idea to have lots of storage space.
Plus, you can get baskets or boxes where you can keep smaller objects. These are available in almost any home decor store. Additionally, if you like to create a sense of energy and contrast in your room, you can buy them in lots of different sizes and colors to add to this effect.
Some stores, like IKEA, are experts in furniture with lots of storage space, with lots of really practical and functional designs. One example of this is their wardrobes. You can put different shelves and trays inside, according to your needs and taste.
Decorating the walls
Lastly, we’re going to talk briefly about some of the different ways you can decorate the walls of your room.
A room with no decorations on the walls will create a sense of emptiness. You should only go for this look with certain styles, like minimalism.
Plus, as you’ll see next, there are so many different ways you can decorate your walls:
- Posters – especially in children’s rooms
- Photos and paintings – in this case, you can play around with the energy created by the different combinations
- Others – like different types of maps
Those are just some of the different ways you can personalize your bedroom. You need to keep your style and needs in mind while you decorate, to give your space that personal touch.
Although it can sometimes be difficult to make your decorating ideas a reality, there are endless options available. Follow our advice, and it’ll be a breeze. And what’s more, you’ll have so much fun while you do it.It might interest you...