Artificial Grass for a Relaxed, Natural Porch
In today’s article, we’re going to talk about the idea of artificial grass on your porch. There are lots of varieties, and the quality of the grass keeps on improving.
This is definitely your best option if you don’t have a garden or lawn, or simply don’t have enough time to care for one.
It has also started to become more popular, and more and more people are beginning to use it.
Artificial grass can help you give a special touch to a porch, courtyard, or balcony. Even though the grass is synthetic, the end result looks great and not fake at all. You can hardly tell the difference at a glance.
We’re going to start by talking about the pros and cons, to help you decide whether or not this is the right choice for you. Afterward, we’ll give you some ideas on how you can use it to decorate your porch.
The pros of artificial grass on a porch
The big thing here is that you’ll save time and money. You can have it installed for as little as $5 per square foot, or install it yourself for even less.
Unlike real grass, you don’t need to do any frequent maintenance. No water or fertilizer is necessary. All it needs is a tiny bit of upkeep to keep on looking impeccable.
Another advantage is that you can put it in on any surface: cement, soil, tiles, etc…All you have to do is level it out with a slight incline so that the water drains properly.
Artificial grass can also handle bad weather. In the summer, when you spend the most time on your porch, it will stay perfect. Plus, it drains well, so you don’t have to worry about rain causing any problems.
Another thing we love about it is that it doesn’t attract bacteria, insects, mites, or anything like that. So, it could be a great option if you have allergies.
If you have a pet, you might be worried about it urinating on the grass. But don’t worry, all you have to do is pour some water over the spot to keep the grass clean!
Lastly, it’s recyclable, which is great if you want to be environmentally friendly.
In spite of all that, there are some cons to consider before you go out and buy anything.
For one thing, it can be expensive to lay it. On the other hand, you don’t have to spend any more time or money on it after, so you could treat it as an investment. Once installed, it has a very long lifespan.
It can also occasionally cause scrapes or injuries. This is becoming less and less common, though, as the manufacturers continue to improve the design.
And of course, no matter how high quality it is, artificial grass will never be able to replace the fresh feeling of real grass. Still, it’s a great alternative especially if natural grass won’t work for you for any reason.
Ideas for artificial grass on your porch
Below, we’re going to give you some ideas and potential combinations for artificial grass and porches of all shapes and sizes.
You could use only artificial grass, or you could combine it with other materials for a nice, elegant look. Here are some options:
- Wooden platforms: you can create environments in different areas to separate things visually. For example, you could put grass on the left side for a chill space and wood on the right for the eating area.
- Gravel: putting in artificial grass and bordering it with gravel looks amazing. You can even use multi-colored stones. Or, you could leave one part without grass and cover it with stones and some kind of light source to enhance it at night.
- Urban garden: more and more people are putting green spaces in their homes. Here, all you have to do is put the planters around the porch. This looks great even if you only border one side of the porch (on top of the artificial grass).
- Stone paths: you can use stones to outline the artificial grass plot. You could make it symmetrical and straight, or more asymmetrical.
- Concrete: this can also look great with artificial grass. If you’re installing it over concrete, you can leave a few parts blank in the shape of a square or rectangle. This will make the concrete visible, and give you a space for pots, a hammock, deck chair, or even a barbecue…as long as you have the room.
We hope these ideas have been helpful. There are honestly infinite options and combinations. As always, it depends on what you like, and how big your budget is. Plus, it’s not hard to install artificial grass on a porch, and there are companies that specialize in it if you need help.It might interest you...