Using Wallpaper to Decorate Your Living Room
Originality is often found in details that surprise us. One way to achieve this in your own home is to break away from traditional decorating techniques and use wallpaper to decorate your living room. This a trend that has been making waves in the world of interior design in recent years.
Today, there are so many different ways we can transform our homes into unique and elegant spaces. There’s no point in simply copying the images you see in interior design magazines, or following the same patterns you’ve used countless times before. The future lies in innovation.
The walls of our homes represent a fundamental “framework” which encapsulates the decoration as a whole. It’s there that we can apply colors, textures, materials, decals, and many other elements, which help to renovate and rejuvenate the look of our spaces. So, today, we’re going to discover a new way of decorating interiors.
Decorating your living room with wallpaper – plant motifs
Plant motifs open up so many different possibilities when it comes to decorating the walls. Visually striking and incredibly beautiful, there’s a wide range of patterns and designs to choose from. They can help to create a more natural feel, and give rooms a fresh, vibrant atmosphere. However, we wouldn’t recommend using these designs to cover all four walls: a single feature wall is enough.
Tropical leaves are a popular option. Bringing to mind images of white sand and crystal clear waters, these prints will allow you to give your living room a more exotic feel. As a general rule, green is the most common color. However, you could also use a range of bright, summer tones.
Alternatively, you could also opt for more realistic prints, featuring a range of different plant species. However, simpler designs with silhouettes and long, flowing shapes can often be more effective.
It’s time to bring a more natural touch to your living room.
Repeating patterns are a great option if you’re looking to create a unique and interesting look. As the name suggests, these types of wallpaper feature patterns that are repeated over and over. Before you decide which style you want for your home, let’s take a look at 5 examples:
1. Vertical stripes can be used to make your ceilings feel higher. While they’re often a popular option for commercial buildings, they can be a little repetitive for family homes. They often feature two distinct colors, although you may find some designs with three or even more colors.
2. Damask-style patterns are another common option. The motifs join together to cover the entire surface of the wall. This helps to create a sense of harmony, with the background color helping to set the tone for your space as a whole.
3. Needless to say, this list wouldn’t be complete without mentioning geometric patterns; triangles, circles, squares, rhombuses, you name it! These shapes can be arranged randomly or in a set of repeating patterns, which helps to create a sense of order.
4. If you’re looking for something a little more neutral, you can find designs featuring simple lines and shapes that help to create an attractive, yet understated background for your living room decor.
5. Finally, it’s important to take a quick look at animal motifs. These often feature animals such as flamingos, lions, and elephants, among others. When combined with floral or plant motifs, they can be used to create an original look.
Using wallpaper to decorate your living room – optical illusions
As we’ve already mentioned, decorating your living room with wallpaper is a great opportunity to show off your innovation and creativity, and explore new decorative options. As well as the styles we’ve looked at so far, you also have the option of decorating your walls with optical illusion wallpaper.
Optical illusion wallpaper typically features a large image that helps to give your room a greater sense of depth, by introducing a window into a fictitious or imaginary world. These optical illusions come in many different forms and themes: forests, beaches, urban landscapes, countryside scenes, outer space…
The really interesting thing about this type of wallpaper is the trompe l’oeil effect. In other words, these images are often so realistic, that we can’t help but question what our eyes are telling us. They capture all the attention in the room, taking center stage, and completely transforming the entire space.
Create a mind-bending optical illusion in your own home.
Wood and brick patterns
Some types of wallpaper are designed to mimic the look of different construction materials and can simulate stone, wooden logs, or brick walls.
The idea is to hide the original wall, and use the wallpaper to create a whole new aesthetic as if it had been built from those materials. You can even find textured wallpapers so that your walls feel as realistic as they look. In a sense, these types of wallpaper create a different kind of optical illusion, tricking our minds into seeing something that isn’t really there.It might interest you...