The Things That Every Home Needs
There’s nothing quite like the feeling of having your own home. When you’ve found the perfect place that meets your needs and budget, you then start to wonder how to furnish and decorate it. Equally, there are certain things that can’t be missing–the things that every home needs.
There are times when the excitement of furnishing and decorating our homes can lead to us buying things that we don’t really need. This is why, it’s important to know what your home does actually need.
It’s quite common to feel overwhelmed about all the things you feel you need in your home. Because of this, it’s a good idea to think about what you’re going to need in each room. Then, choose the accessories and accents that’ll make those spaces practical, inviting and comfortable according to your personal style.
Things that every home needs: the living room
The living room is a spacious room destined to be the social center of a home. To decorate it and estimate what those things are that you absolutely need, you need to first establish what kind of purpose the room will have. For example, will this room also double up as a dining room?
We all want to create a sense of comfort in the living room. As such, the key piece that can’t be missing in that area is the sofa, which should be large and comfortable. In addition, it must be made of resistant and washable materials so that it can withstand the test of time.
The way you place your sofa should invite conversation and relaxation. It should also be close to a window in order to provide brightness and joy into your home.
A coffee table should always accompany the sofa and this also gives a touch of elegance to your home. It’s very functional and allows you to store objects for electronic devices or leisure activities.
It doesn’t hurt to add a bookshelf to this room too, where you can display your favorite books or decorative objects. You could also have a desk where you can write, draw, become inspired, or keep your computer.
The dining area should always be located in a more reserved spot and away from windows. Its main axis is the dining table which should fit the available space and allow you to pass through the room without bumping into anything.
The dining table should have several chairs that should be functional, comfortable, and combine with the table and the rest of your furnishings. To store the dining room necessities, you could add a sideboard near the table. This way you can keep everything you need for mealtimes to hand.
Your bedroom and the things that shouldn’t be missing
Your bedroom is a private place for rest and relaxation. Needless to say, you mainly use it for sleeping so it must be comfortable and quiet with a relaxing atmosphere. The essential elements for this space are:
- A bed: the star piece of the bedroom. A good quality bed frame and a comfortable mattress are so important. To be completely comfortable, you should have at least two sets of bedding, pillows, blankets, and a good duvet which provides warmth and comfort during the night.
- One or two bedside tables: put one small table on each side of the bed that serves to hold a night light, alarm clock or phone. You can also use its drawers or shelves to store things.
- A closet: the most common type of closet is recessed in the wall so that its front is the only visible part. The doors can be swing or sliding. Designers use sliding doors in narrow areas since they require less space.
- A chest of drawers: this chest can be however high and have as many drawers as you need. You can put a mirror above it and use it as a dressing area.
In small homes, the bedroom can also serve as an office with a desk and bookshelves–if there’s enough room. It can also become like a living room with a place to watch TV.
Having space is definitely an advantage, but you have to know how to take advantage of the space you have without forgetting the main objective. At the end of the day, you want to create an environment that encourages relaxation without the other uses of the room getting in the way.
The things that every home needs: your kitchen
In many homes, the kitchen is the heart of the home. Currently, kitchen designs that allow for comfort and the greatest use of space are the most important. If you choose the right furniture, you’ll be able to maximize your space, and at the same time give style to this room.
The kitchen is one of the rooms that requires less decorative elements. Normally most of the space in the kitchen is reserved for carrying out practical tasks. As such, it isn’t ideal to have decorative items in there that are exposed to cooking smells and grease.
However, there’s a series of furniture items that shouldn’t be missing in any kitchen and these include:
- Storage areas to keep things that would otherwise clutter your kitchen. Several cabinets will do the job, as long as they have shelves to separate spaces. Equally, if they have some depth to them, you should be able to use them to organize your things. Drawers also work well for storing cutlery and small towels.
- A countertop where you can cook and place small appliances and a sink to wash utensils and food.
- Home appliances. There are many options you can consider, but the most important thing is a stove to cook and heat your food and a refrigerator to preserve your food. You can complement these items with an oven, a microwave, a blender and so on.
- A washer and a dryer.
- Utensils for eating and cooking. Plates, glasses, cutlery, knives, pots, pans, and kitchen towels, among other things. Don’t forget cleaning utensils such as a broom, dustpan, mop, scouring pads, and products to disinfect and clean.
Things that every bathroom should have
The bathroom is one room in the house that sees a lot of wear. It has a lot of use and gets dirty very easily. Usually, it’s a small room compared to other rooms in the house. Equally, it has to be functional and withstand a high level of humidity.
Its special requirements make choosing the materials you want to place in your bathroom particularly important. However, the functional part shouldn’t make the aesthetic aspect obsolete. Your goal is to have a useful and comfortable bathroom that’s also nice to spend time in.
The things that shouldn’t be missing from this room are basic. You need a shower, sink, and toilet. A cabinet or shelves for storing bathroom items are great to have. You also can’t forget toiletries, such as soap, toilet paper, shampoo, or a toothbrush, and of course don’t forget the towels.
Additional things that every home needs
Although we’ve been talking about things that you need in each room of your home, there are certain things that aren’t associated with one specific room. Some of these items are:
- Lighting: nowadays, there’s no habitable home that doesn’t have some type of lighting. Normally we don’t give a second thought to lights, but they’re essential in all rooms. They’re tools that can transform areas and give them amplitude, elegance, and warmth. We recommend having a ceiling lamp and complementing it with small lamps on bedside tables or walls.
- A first aid kit, a sewing box, and a tool box to repair and prepare for all eventualities.
- A coat rack or closet to hang coats.
- Decorative elements. Curtains, rugs, cushions, paintings, mirrors, and above all, plants that can help make your home more comfortable.
With all of this information, you’ll have a great base of the right things that you need to have in your home.It might interest you...