10 Ways to Keep your Closet Organized
Keeping your closet organized is one of the most important – and most complicated – chores you’ll face on a daily basis. No matter what kind of closet you have, the key is knowing how to organize it properly. Plus, having the right tools on-hand will make the task a lot easier.
At the end of the day, the ideal closet is one that meets all your basic needs and preferences. If you like to fold your clothes, your closet should have plenty of shelves and boxes. If you prefer to hang them, you’ll need a long rail for hangers.
How to keep your closet organized
1. The first thing you need to do is go through all your clothes and take out anything you no longer need: clothes that don’t fit, items you don’t use, or things that are damaged. Donate anything that’s still in good condition, and recycle old clothes by using them in a fun DIY project. This is the only way to make sure you have enough space to organize your closet properly.
2. When it comes to organizing your closet, rails will be your greatest allies. Hanging items helps save space, causes fewer wrinkles and keeps clothes in better condition. So, if you have plenty of rail space, be sure to make the most of it.
3. Make sure to use organizers in your boxes, especially when it comes to socks and underwear. This is a really practical and low-cost way to ensure your clothes don’t just end up in a jumbled heap.
4. Channel your inner Marie Kondo. The KonMari vertical folding technique revolutionized the world and made everyone feel as if they should be a little more organized. The advantage of this system is that it significantly reduces the space taken up by folded clothes, and helps prevent closets from becoming disorganized.
Organizing your closet
- Say yes to accessories. You can buy special hangers for bags, or hang hooks on the doors for scarves and shawls.
- Not all hangers are made equal. Using good quality, matching hangers is a great way to keep your closet beautifully organized. Make sure they are suitable for your clothes, ie. not too big or too small, and won’t pull your clothes out of shape.
- If your closet doesn’t have enough shelves or sufficient storage space for additional boxes, simply place them on the floor instead.
- Use the top shelf or closet floor to store seasonal clothing. This will help stop your closet from looking cluttered, while still keeping everything close to hand for when you need it again. Keep any clothes you won’t be using this season in sealed boxes, and make sure to label them properly.
- Choose your closet doors carefully. Sliding doors take up less space but can make it more difficult to access all your clothes.
- If your closet is a little on the small side, you can keep your shoes on a separate shoe rack in your hallway, for example.
How to hang your clothes
- Blazers should always be buttoned up and kept on wooden hangers.
- Shirts should also be kept on wooden hangers, and organized by color.
- There is a lot of disagreement when it comes to the best way to hang pants. Some people use pant racks, others use ordinary hangers, while some simply fold them. The first option is really practical and allows you to make the most of your space. However, it’s really just a question of personal taste. Whatever you decide, never hang several pairs of pants on the same hanger, as it can make it difficult to take them off again.
- When it comes to long items such as dresses or coats, it’s best to hang them as high up as possible. For example, you could install pull down closet rails. These have a handle which allows you to pull down the top rail so it’s easier to reach.
- If you decide to keep your shirts folded on a shelf, don’t pile them all on top of each other. If it’s too high, the tower of shirts will simply fall over and your clothes will end up in a heap on the closet floor.
- When it comes to bags and large accessories, you can either store them on a shelf or put them in boxes.
- Finally, we recommend investing in special hangers which make it easier to keep your closet organized. You’ll find hangers designed specifically for shirts, pants, ties, belts, and even whole outfits.
Keeping your closet organized has never been so easy. Be methodical, and you’ll soon have the closet of your dreams.