Reuse a Cable Reel to Make a Table
You can use a cable reel for various projects for a perfect home decor.
Recycling materials can have all kinds of outlets for decor. In today’s post, we want to show you a great home project idea: reuse a cable reel to make a table.
How many times have you seen something in the dumpster that could have a second life? In the world of interior design, you can transform anything to give it a new look and an entirely different function.
From a decorative perspective, when you reuse and restore something, you give it a new character and an innovative style. Recycling and reusing is actually a process where creativity takes a leading role.
What’s a cable reel?
You’ve probably seen a cable reel on a construction site, laying around on country roads or in a dumpster. Have you ever thought about the different decor possibilities that it could offer?
It has the perfect shape to become a decor element: cable reels have a central cylinder tube with two giant circles on each end. They’re used for organizing big cables, usually electrical purposes.
Cable reels have a solid structure and are made of wood. They’re very stable, making them appropriate furniture pieces. Additionally, they have a simple appearance and fit easily into any kind of decorative style.
Recycling has become a fundamental activity for our current society.
Cable reel au naturel
Our first idea for reusing a cable reel is simply reusing it just as it is. In other words, set it up in your home without altering its appearance. You can also try the following:
- Decorate its exterior with varnish for a nicer visual result and better-protected table. The varnish will also help eliminate any impurities and smooth out the surface.
- Another idea is using a round, glass tabletop. It’ll protect the wood, provide a smoother surface and nail an elegant look that boasts practicality as well.
Table with magazine rack
Cable reels have a wonderful advantage: they have space in between their circular sides. It makes for a great magazine rack. But how can you make it?
- Fit in boards in between the sides, protruding from the central cylinder. Space them out to create a space to store books and magazines.
- On one of the sides, try placing a glass tabletop on top that will protect the wood and convert it into a table.
- You can paint your cable reel, or apply varnish and other products as well. An aged finish is another option you could try if you want a more original product.
- They’ll look great in front of a sofa. But cable reels come in different sizes so try to find one that has an appropriate size for your living room furniture.
Different ideas for cable reels
As we mentioned before, the shape of cable reels boast all kinds of possibilities; you just need to let your creativity loose. Here are more interesting ideas:
- If you want to make a table, try getting creative with your project. For example, a colorful mosaic could create dynamism and a really interesting setting.
- On the other hand, if you want it to stand firm and need to fix it to a wall, cut it in half and fix the straight side onto your wall, using the curved side as a table.
- Cable reels also make great stools. You can find smaller ones that’ll be perfect for the job. In any case, make sure that they’re a good fit before starting your project. Attach a soft material on top to make it comfortable.
You can reuse a cable reel however you want. You can give them designs, colors or any other element that’ll add more originality.