Original Ways to Decorate Without Spending Money
Whoever said that having a beautifully decorated house had to cost the earth? In this article, we’ll show you some original ways to decorate without spending money.
There are so many ways you can decorate your home without having to resort to shopping in typical home stores. We often feel great social pressure to be fashionable in every aspect of our lives, which pushes us toward uncontrolled, unsustainable consumerism. In reality, there are lots of other options that can be perfect for your budget and your home.
Recycling, upcycling and repurposing will all play a really important role in this type of decor. Many of the objects that we would normally consider broken or useless can be given a new lease of life and become fantastic additions to your home.
Any old wooden ladders that sit unused and abandoned at the back of your storage room can be reused as bookshelves. There are two main types of ladder: self-supporting stepladders, and leaning ladders that must be supported against a wall.
When it comes to stepladders, we recommend fixing shelves onto the steps to make better use of the available space. Because these ladders can be folded up and attached to the wall, they take up virtually no space.
In the case of leaning ladders, these DIY shelves will give your room a simple yet avant-garde feel. They’ll give you a series of charming shelves that you can decorate with books, vases, and decorative objects.
Using either of these options will allow you to avoid making holes in your walls. This will make it easier to change your decoration in the future without having to make any alterations to the walls.
Decorating can be easy. It’s simply a matter of having a little ingenuity and creativity.
5 ways to decorate without spending money
If you want to turn your home into an innovative place, it’s time to consider alternative ideas that will set you apart from the mainstream market. Let’s take a look at 5 original ways to decorate without spending money:
1. If you have an old guitar that you no longer use, you can turn it into a handy wall shelf. Firstly, remove the front panel, and attach some small wooden shelves to the inside. You can then use the neck to hang it on your wall.
2. You can arrange wooden fruit and veg crates to create a coffee table for your living room. Simply join four together to form a square or a cross.
3. Pallets have so much potential, whether you choose to hang them on the wall and use them as a vertical garden or attach several together to form a headboard. They’re super versatile and can be painted and altered to create almost any style you want.
4. An old chair can be recycled to make a very original plant pot. To do this, simply remove the seat and replace it with a large planter. Then, all you need to do is fill it with soil, and add your favorite plants. This is a great way to change up the look in your garden.
5. And finally, why not take inspiration from the photo at the beginning of this article and upholster an old chair with tennis balls. It’s very simple – use ultra-resistant glue to attach the tennis balls one by one to the surface of the seat.
Decorate without spending money – innovative mats
Stores often sell rugs featuring inspirational messages and bright, colorful patterns. However, things that seem innovative and unique can become something quite common and commercialized. So, it might be worth having a look for new alternatives.
It’s to change things up and look for options you don’t normally find on the high street. One option might be to make a mat out of wine corks, just like the one in the image above. You can make any size of mat you like, depending on the surface you want to cover.
Another option is to make your own wool rug. The first step is to make wool pompoms using toilet roll tubes. Attach two tubes together side by side and wrap them in yarn. Once you have a nice mound of yarn, cut the rest of the ball loose. Take a smaller piece of yarn and, feeding it between the two tubes, use it to tie all the yarn together. Once you’ve cut, trimmed and shaped the pompoms you can then attach them to a piece of matting to create your rug.It might interest you...