Storage Beds as a Space-Saving Option
Storage beds were created due to a space-saving necessity. Boasting a built-in storage compartment, they"re wonderful for keeping bedding, seasonal clothes or other objects that we don"t use regularly.
They"re very practical pieces of furniture that could definitely offer us solutions to our everyday space problems.
These days, a lot of people prefer storage beds. They don"t just serve as extra storage, but they also help keep rooms more organized.
In today"s post, we"ll focus on this wonderful space-saving option – what they are, what they can offer us, and the kinds that we can find.
What are storage beds?
Storage beds are structures that hold a mattress in its upper-area, with an extra internal storage compartment as well.
There are many kinds of models and designs out there. Generally speaking, size isn"t an issue because you can find storage beds for children or king-sized beds.
For the most part, these beds don"t have legs but rather, an edge that goes all the way down to the floor. However, some models might come with legs.
Storage beds are quite stable and are on the heavier side.
Furthermore, these beds themselves can actually serve as decorative pieces as they might be finished in wood, leatherette or upholstery.
Types of storage beds
In today"s market, there are mainly three types of storage beds, or storage “platform beds".
- Drawer storage bed: this type of storage bed consists of a frame that holds several drawers for storage. These make a sound option for children"s rooms as it enables them to store or take out items safely.
- Storage bed (vertical lift): this is the most common sort of storage bed and often first comes to mind when we think of storage beds. The bed uses a system that lifts the base of the bed frame, along with the mattress, uncovering a storage compartment.
- Single storage bed (vertical lift): this bed combines the idea of a single bed with the concept of a hidden storage compartment. They"re perfect for teenage or children"s bedrooms, or in homes that are tight on space.
Storage beds open in different ways:
- Hinges or piston hinges: the lid covers the storage compartment and the hinges are used to help lift the lid along with the mattress. Gas hydraulic pistons work best for these beds as they require minimal lifting effort.
- Pull tabs: these tabs allow us to grab and pull open the cover. For bigger beds, you can often find multiple pull tabs. They might even be made of wood or metal.
- Supports: these are often located opposite the pull tabs. They secure the mattress in place for access to the storage compartment.
Advantages vs. disadvantages of storage beds
The first advantage goes without saying – storage space.
On the same note, these beds are simple and easy to use. All you need to do is lift the lid and you can access the storage compartment.
Lastly, beds with storage provide firmness and stability for the mattress. They also help us get a good night"s rest and contribute to keeping mattresses in good condition.
As for the disadvantages – many lack good structure and as a result, can be quite heavy. This means that moving them can be very difficult.
Another disadvantage is that the prices tend to be a bit higher than a normal bed. However, it"s a worthwhile investment.
Cleaning also highlights another disadvantage of storage beds and you should be well aware of it when considering a purchase. As it is almost completely at ground level, cleaning it can be tricky.
Lastly, finding a compatible mattress can be difficult when buying a storage bed.
For the most part, all mattresses are compatible with these structures. All except latex mattresses; these require more ventilation, and storage beds don´t allow for this.
How can I pick the right storage bed?
There can be a lot of questions to tackle if we"re thinking about buying a storage bed; so, we"ll go over 4 aspects that you have to keep in mind:
- Structure and storage: it should be stable and well-structured. In addition, the storage compartment should have a resilient base to withstand the weight. It should also be easily accessible.
- Opening: the bed can open either laterally or vertically. The important thing is that it should use a gas hydraulic piston system. This is much more preferable and safer as well.
- Mattress compatibility
- Safety: make sure that the storage bed weighs enough to keep from opening by itself. Another thing to consider is the upholstery. This should be anti-slip in order to prevent the mattress from moving while you sleep.