Creating Contrast Between the Couch and the Cushions
Just bought a new couch, but not sure which cushions to combine it with? Keep the following advice in mind, and you'll be able to fill your living room with color and style.
When it comes to decorating the living room, there are so many different things to keep in mind, including shape, perspective, design, layout, and color. This last point is one of the most important. So today, we want to highlight the importance of creating a contrast between the couch and the cushions.
The furniture you buy for your living room will be very different from that in the rest of the house. However, there should be a sense of coherence and harmony in the color palette used throughout. Color is perhaps one of the best ways to generate a sense of energy and style in your home.
Contrast is essential if you want to give your living room a more dynamic feel. Fortunately, there are a few basic formulae you can use when it comes to creating the right color combination for your couch and cushions.
Why create contrast between the couch and the cushions?
Using colors to create contrast prevents your home from falling into chromatic, stylistic and aesthetic monotony. Moreover, it can help to create a sense of diversity and charm that will allow you to enjoy your living room to the full.
Contrast between the couch and the cushions is the key to decorating any living room. It will play a fundamental role in your decor, especially as the couch often forms the focal point. With this in mind, it’s important to pay close attention to the colors you choose.
There’s nothing better than inviting guests round, showing them into the living room and letting them enjoy your interior decor. What better way to show off your impeccable taste and the time and effort you’ve invested in decorating your home?
In interior decor, great color is like perfect seasoning in an exquisite dish.
Cushions and the couch
There are several different formulae you can use to create contrast between the couch and the cushions. The option you choose will largely depend on the style you’re going for.
- If you have a neutral sofa, such as gray, it can be easier to establish a contrast. Colors like green, salmon, and blue are ideal, bringing a touch of joy to the more somber gray tone.
- The same goes for off-white couches, as any cushions will immediately stand out. For example, warm tones can make your sofa pop.
- On the other hand, if you have a red or maroon couch, it’s best to avoid both cool tones, like blue, and warm tones, such as yellow or orange. Ideally, you should look for white or gray cushions to create an even greater contrast.
- If your couch features earth tones, you can apply this same formula, adding light-colored cushions to create a really attractive look. In this case, greens can also be an interesting option.
Black couches – one of the greatest challenges
Although black couches have a really strong and imposing presence, it’s all too easy for them to have a dull or lackluster appearance that means they can easily go unnoticed. While they don’t necessarily have an attractive tone on their own, they can be really interesting when combined with the right complements.
- To give your black couch greater prominence in your room, it’s important to choose the right colors for your cushions. This is one of the best ways to make it stand out, and transform it into the star feature of your home.
- If you want to give your living room a softer look, use colors such as sky blue, green or gray. However, if you’re looking for something more sophisticated, white is a great option.
- On the other hand, red tones can be a really interesting and exotic choice, giving a certain intensity and strength to your space, and even becoming a symbol of passion and daring.
Other colors for cushions
You can also use other colors, such as turquoise or navy blue, which offer a more somber aesthetic. However, if you want to fill your living room with elegance and light, gold and silver are fantastic and classical options.
When it comes to decorating your living room, any color can be a great option. Keep in mind that the couch and the cushions should complement one another, as this is one of the best ways to personalize your space.