Choosing a Sofa: 5 Tips For Choosing The Right Sofa
The sofa is the feature of the living room. This piece of furniture is key to family reunions, parties with friends, or movie nights with the kids. We’ll give you some tips when choosing a sofa.
Choosing the right sofa is important for tying your living room together. We recommend that you consider both aesthetics and also comfort and quality.
At the end of the day, your back will suffer if your sofa isn’t comfortable.
5 basic tips for choosing a sofa
Tip #1: Take measurements into account
It’s important to take time when choosing furniture for your home. More importantly, you need to make sure the furniture fits into your room.
Nothing is worse than getting a new, beautiful sofa that doesn’t fit or that’s too narrow or doesn’t go with the scheme of the room.
To avoid this, you can take measurements of your room before heading to the store. Consider the approximate size of the sofa you want.
Tip #2: Quality for the price
Whenever we buy something, we want a good price-quality ratio. Our recommendation is that when it comes to choosing a sofa, don’t sacrifice quality.
In this case, comfort is more important than price. A cheap couch can end up being very expensive as it might be uncomfortable or you might have to replace it in a year or so.
There are a few ways to check that a sofa is comfortable and of high quality and there are also ways to look after it.
- First, it should give you support. Your hips shouldn’t sink when you sit down.
- Your feet shouldn’t be hanging over the edge. You should be able to press the back of your knees to the couch while sitting comfortably.
- The armrest shouldn’t be below the height of your elbow.
- Next, it should be comfortable in several positions: lying down, sitting, putting your feet up, etc. Make sure the sofa is comfortable in all positions.
- Over time sofas wear out. Therefore, the foam should be changed every 5 years or so.
- Also, make sure that when you sit on the sofa and it molds to your body that it returns to its original shape when you get up.
Tip #3: The structure is important
A good quality sofa needs a good structure. People want a sofa that lasts for years. Therefore, the structure needs to be able to withstand the test of time.
- Wood or metal are preferable for the structure, as it ensures strength and stability.
- The legs should be made of the same material as the rest of the sofa.
- Sofas are more resistant if they have zigzag straps or springs to support the cushions.
Tip #4: The fabric counts
When choosing a sofa, it’s also important to consider the fabric of the upholstery.
Your family situation will make a big difference in choosing one material over another.
If you have small children, you should consider a material that is easy to clean.
- Cotton: Because it is a natural fiber, it can feel very warm.
- Leather: Looks very modern and elegant. At the same time, it also creates a vintage feel in the living room.
- Synthetic fabrics: These fabrics can be made with anti-stain technology. This is convenient if you have children and you’re worried about cleaning.
- Chenille: This is a soft fabric with a velvety feel.
- Velvet: This fabric is also used for sofas because it is very soft and warm.
Tip #5: Types of sofas
When choosing the fabric and the color, it’s important to take into account the decoration scheme you already have in your living room.
Your sofa should also match the furniture you already have. It’s not the best idea to get a new sofa and have to change all the other furniture, curtains, etc.
The most common types of sofas and the trendiest are:
- Lounge or chaise: This is the famous L-shaped sofa. Ideal for a big family.
- 3+2: This is a traditional 3 seat sofa that is paired with a smaller one with two seats.
- Line: These are simple, small sofas. They are used for small rooms or for couples since they’re only made for two people.
- Modular: This type allows you to modify the layout of the sofa depending on the room. These are great if you have a big family or want to create a big sofa when you have friends over.
- Chester: These are usually two or three seater sofas. They are classic and reminiscent of the English style. They’re characterized by their upholstery and rounded shapes. They are perfect for a vintage style.
Choosing a sofa isn’t easy. That’s why our biggest recommendation is to take your time to choose the right one and shop around to see your options.
Remember that paying a little more for quality is worth it when it comes to sofas.
Also, don’t forget to take your room’s style into consideration, as well as the size of the space and the number of people who will be using it.