Gas Stoves for your Kitchen
Gas stoves never go out of style. The unique flavor of food cooked on a gas stove is exquisite.
Gas stoves are the stoves most commonly found in professional kitchens, and they are without a doubt the favorite of all those who love cooking.
With gas stoves, you can slow-cook food on a low heat. Food has a unique taste which you simply can’t get with other types of stove, like ceramic or induction cooking-tops. In today’s article, we’ll tell you about the advantages of gas stoves.
The advantage of gas stoves over other systems
The main advantage is that they are more economical, as the price of gas is significantly lower than the price of electricity. They can also heat up more rapidly. This is a key factor in professional kitchens, as you can alter the temperature quickly and easily.
You can use a whole range of cooking utensils with a gas stove. Plus, because you can control the intensity of the flame and the temperature will remain stable, this is the best type of system for slow cooking. You also won’t need to buy specially designed pots or utensils, like with induction stoves. Traditional utensils are also less expensive, so you’ll be able to save money.
This type of stove is safer and more stylish than ever before. They also offer better stability and better support for the pots you place on the cook-top.
As you will see, many come with an auto ignition system, so you won’t need matches or a lighter. Plus, modern safety features are far better now compared to those in older models. Now, the burner will shut off the gas if it doesn’t detect a flame. And they can use natural gas or other types, such as butane.
The difference between butane and natural gas stoves
Firstly, natural gas stoves don’t have a canister to supply gas. Natural gas comes in an unlimited supply, for whatever you want to cook. Butane gas stoves on the other hand have a gas canister which you will need to refill from time to time. Having to refill the canister can be a real disadvantage.
However, butane gas stoves are more economical than natural gas stoves. This is because canisters of butane gas are really cheap, at around $13 a canister. One canister will usually last around a month, so you’ll be able to save a fair amount of money.
As gas is also used to heat our water, we recommend that you do the math to work out which option will be cheaper for you. If you use more than a certain amount, it might turn out to be just as cheap to pay for natural gas as butane gas.
Things to be aware of before you buy
Gas stoves use less energy than other types of stove. Plus, they allow you to cook your food in a more traditional way, and won’t alter the properties of your food.
Before you go ahead and buy one, there are certain aspects of gas stoves you’ll need to think about.
- Firstly, you’ll have to think about what you’ll be using it for – whether you’ll be cooking regularly or only occasionally. This will dictate the number of burners you’ll need. You should also take into account the number of people living in your house, and the size of your kitchen. We recommend that you choose a 3 burner stove, as they are the most convenient and practical.
- Hygiene is also important when it comes to this type of stove, so it’s best to choose a gas stove where you can keep the rings clean.
- Make sure that you choose a stove with an auto ignition system. Current regulations dictate that all stoves should have a safety system which cuts off the gas supply if the flame goes out.
- Check that the stove you buy will allow you to regulate the flame, so that you can increase or decrease the heat according to what you are cooking.
- We really recommend glass top gas stoves. They are modern in their design and easy to clean. We also recommend cast iron stoves, as they are hard-wearing and durable.
How much do gas stoves cost?
Depending on the size, brand, the different functions and extras they include, the price can vary greatly.
Normally, the price can be anywhere from $30 to $1750. We recommend that you adjust your budget according to the stove you want. Keep in mind that the cheapest stoves might break easily, and you won’t get your money’s worth.
The main disadvantage you’ll find with this type of stove is that they can be difficult to clean. However, we’re seeing more and more gas stoves on the market which have been designed to facilitate cleaning, and make our lives easier.
Because they use an open flame, they are more dangerous than other types of stove. You might burn yourself if you’re not paying attention, or you could even leave the gas on.
All stoves have their pros and cons, so you should choose the one that best suits your needs.
In spite of that, the taste of traditionally prepared food slow cooked on a gas stove is one you won’t get with any other type of cook-top.