Lately, city apartments have acquired a more contemporary and sophisticated style. In this article, we’re going to be talking about a particular case. We’re referring to industrial-style lofts. The main characteristic of these lofts is that their space has a daring and avant-garde kind of aesthetic.
People like using the urban decorative style. Why is this so common? This trend arose because individuals wanted to be more innovative. People stopped gravitating toward classic decor and started looking for new ideas.
For this reason, the industrial environment is a source of inspiration for many interior designers trying to make a change and spice things up a little. This style is characterized by originality. In other words, it has nothing to do with traditionalism or pre-established norms.
What are the main characteristics of a loft?
Before we dive deeper into the industrial style, we must first define what a loft is. In brief, a loft is an open space that allows the development of a total decorative process. This offers a lot of possibilities when it comes to decor.
From the floor to the ceiling, you can work with all kinds of resources, to such an extent that you may even make different levels and floors in that single space.
Another of the most important characteristics is the light that they offer. The windows are usually quite large. Of course, this allows natural light to enter and, as a result, all the decor elements become enhanced.
In the past, people would only use the industrial or grunge style in offices, restaurants, and public places. However, for a few years now, many have been applying it to their homes as well, especially when it comes to lofts. Like we said previously, this style offers endless possibilities regarding decoration.
5 necessary resources to carry out industrial-style lofts
Thinking of the resources you can use in your loft can be quite overwhelming as the possibilities are endless. But that’s where we come into play. We’re going to give you some tips to make it easier for you. Next, you’ll find 5 resources that are easy to work with:
- Using iron for any railings, headboards, and furniture is essential. Of course, painting it black would make it even better.
- Exposed beams are in when it comes to this decor style. It makes the space look both informal and functional, just as in factories. However, you can paint them to better fit the aesthetics of the rooms.
- You can leave the pipes exposed. Believe it or not, both the water pipes and the ventilation ducts have something to say on a decorative level. In this way, the loft will have a contemporary vibe instead of a classic one.
- Don’t hesitate to go large with furniture! Remember that lofts are big, so you don’t have to choose furniture that fits into small spaces. Nonetheless, you must be careful with how you position them. After all, you don’t want to hinder moving around the rooms. Big chairs are also great statement pieces you can use.
- Hanging lamps also offer an industrial appearance. Not only that, but they’re also functional. Not every single corner of the loft needs to be illuminated, though. Directing the light toward specific parts of the room will give the whole space a cozier feel.
Now, let’s talk about the walls. It’s safe to say that most -if not all- of the time, industrial-style lofts have their walls covered in brick. If you want to give the loft a subtle as well as an urban touch, you have two options:
- You can leave the brick completely exposed, with its warm hue and characteristic rough texture.
- You can cover the brick wall with neutral-colored paint, such as white, gray or a dark tone.
As for the floor, wood is best for stable, resistant, and warm support. Also, it goes perfectly with the walls, the iron and the rest of the furniture. There will be a chromatic contrast between earthy, dark, and light tones.
Other resources applicable to industrial-style lofts
In industrial-style lofts, it’s important to remember that you don’t have to use lots of accessories just because the space is big. This would defeat the purpose of the loft. The feeling of openness is essential. Whatever you choose to decorate your loft with, make sure it contributes to the setting so that the space looks balanced.
Carpets and curtains are basic components – they don’t have to be large to look good in this kind of space. Additionally, you have the option of adding a large, central table in the dining room. There’s a world of alternatives applicable to this style.It might interest you...