How to Use Wine Bottles to Make your Own Garden Path
You can find a huge variety of projects that use recycled materials to decorate gardens. In fact, among the many modern decorating trends, you’ll find loads of ideas to help breathe new life into your garden without spending a penny. With this in mind, are you ready to learn how to create a garden path out of wine bottles?
We often find that wine bottles build up in our homes. They’re made from a relatively strong material that can last well in areas exposed to high levels of sunlight and humidity, such as gardens. In this article, we’ll tell you how to use them to make a beautiful garden path.
How to make a garden path out of wine bottles
Garden paths, in all their many shapes and sizes, actually have two main functions: on the one hand, they help to decorate and add a sense of style. On the other, they also help to mark a specific space from the rest of the garden, so that you can walk down the path without accidentally stepping on plants or your lawn.
People often make paths out of stones, slate or sand. These are versatile materials which contrast well with the soil and plants. However, another option is to use reusable items like wine bottles. So, let’s get started!
- Wine bottles
- Measuring tape
- Small shovel
- The first thing you need to do is use the measuring tape to measure the length of the path you want to create. This step is very important, as it allows you to plan out your design, and calculate how many bottles you’re going to need at the same time.
- Once you’ve measured out your garden path, you’ll need to collect all the bottles you think you need. If you want, you can use a variety of different sizes.
- Now you’ve got everything ready, use a small shovel to make holes sufficiently deep enough to hold a third of the bottle.
- Put the bottles in the holes, then fill up any empty spaces with earth to help keep the bottles in place.
- You can use the bottles just to create the border of your path. In this case, fill them with stones, wood or another material.
- If you decide to make the whole path out of wine bottles, make sure to place the ones in the inner section deep in the ground, leaving only the base visible. Otherwise, they could break if you stand on them.
Wine bottle garden path and tree trunks
Another way to use wine bottles to make a beautiful garden path is to combine them with chopped pieces of a tree trunk. This is the perfect idea for anyone who loves the rustic look. However, it works best in large gardens.
- Glass bottles
- Chopped tree trunks
- A small shovel
- The first step is to measure the space intended for your garden path. You could even draw up plans on paper so that you have a clear idea of exactly what you want it to look like.
- The next step is to create the outline of your garden path using the pieces of a chopped tree trunk.
- Place them all along the edge of your path to give it its shape. Then, use the small shovel to make holes in the ground for your bottles.
- This will take a bit of time, especially if you have a large garden. Once you’ve made the holes, put a bottle in each one, leaving only the base visible.
- Finally, fill the empty space around the bottle with earth to keep it in place.
- If you want, you could also sprinkle wood chips or small stones around your bottles as a finishing touch.
So, now you know how to create a beautiful garden path without using any of the conventional materials. With a bit of time and creativity, you can do this project using nothing but wine bottles. They are really decorative and easy to use. Plus, they’re perfect for promoting recycling.
Don’t forget that your garden path should:
- Mark off a specific area
- Make it easier to get from one place to another
- Protect your plants and lawn
- Decorate your outdoor spaces
Still haven’t made yours? Now that you know how to use this material, you can start collecting wine bottles so you have enough to make a path for your own garden. As you can see, it’s really easy, and won’t burn a hole in your pocket. All it takes is a bit of time.It might interest you...