How to Decorate Your Walls With Rugs
The walls of our houses are like blank canvases that we can paint however we like. Decorating by hanging rugs on walls is a really original idea. This gives your home a lot of personality.
In some Middle East cultures, it used to be very common to use rugs to decorate walls as it was a symbol of ostentation and wealth. In other countries like Russia, it was also very common to use rugs on walls.
Nowadays, in Western culture, people do it not as a symbol of ostentation or wealth, but merely to decorate in an original way.
In today"s article, we tell you how to decorate your walls with rugs.
Dressing your walls
Walls are absolutely essential architectural features. At the same time, they"re really hard to decorate. However, there are so many options out there to do so.
A decor theme for us and a tradition for others is to hang rugs on walls.
This is certainly a very original way to decorate the walls of any house. Rugs on walls go great with boho-chic styles.
Also, if you have a rug you bought on a special trip and want to keep forever, hanging it on the wall will keep it in pristine condition.
However, you must consider a few things before decorating your walls with rugs to ensure success.
What rugs are the best for decorating walls?
There are many types of rugs on the market. All of them are classified according to different criteria such as shape, weave, and pattern.
To decorate your walls with rugs, you should choose the ones you like the most and make sure they go with the decoration.
These types of rugs are literally works of art, especially those you can buy in countries known for their carpet-making, such as Morocco or other Middle Eastern countries.
They come in different shapes and usually have patterns that mesmerize anyone who looks at them. Their weave is also high-quality.
Yes, you can also place shag rugs on your walls. This is an amazing decorating option! However, you need to choose them well so they don"t clash with the rest of the decoration.
Single colored rugs
This is the easiest option. If you like the idea of hanging rugs on your walls, but you"re not a very daring person, this is a good choice for you!
It"s also the perfect choice for basic, modern, and simple decor. For example, for a Scandinavian design, where light colors tend to predominate, placing a single colored rug on the wall is a perfect idea since it won"t clash with anything.
Rugs with geometric shapes
Rugs are traditionally square. The geometric shape is great if you want your carpet to look like a painting.
There are also rectangular rugs out there. These types of rugs make perfect headboards.
In addition, you can also find round rugs, triangle-shaped rugs, or rugs in other geometric shapes. We love the idea of mixing and matching three rugs with the same geometric shape on the walls.
How to hang rugs on walls
One of the most common questions when it comes to decorating walls with rugs is how to hang them safely.
There are several ways to do this:
- Hanging them from a curtain rod: use a curtain rod you like.
- Framing them: this is a perfect choice if your rugs are old and need to be looked after.
- With bars: you can place wooden bars on the back of the rugs and then hang them using nails.
Rugs are great items you can use to decorate your walls in an original way.
To conclude, we want to give you some tips you should consider.
- Think about the weight of the rugs. If your rugs are too heavy, you have to find a way to hang them firmly on the walls.
- Choose the place you"re going to hang them from well. Avoid areas where they"ll be really exposed to the sun because the light could eventually change their color.
- Choose the rooms you"ll be decorating with rugs. The fact that you like this idea doesn"t mean that all of the walls of your house should have rugs hung on them. You should choose strategic locations to attract attention.
- Take advantage of your trips to exotic countries to look for different rugs. You can also find them in antique or vintage stores.