Classic Modern Style Decor
If you like sophistication, elegance, and refinement, the classic modern style is perfect for your home. To create this, you just have to follow the classic decoration style while combining it with more modern details and other looks.
Of course, these ideas can be used in both new and older homes, either with the existing furniture and space or with new features.
As you’ll see in the following sections, you have to understand the classic style in order to combine it with the latest styles.
This style has stood the test of time, but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t undergone any changes or adaptations. That’s why it’s so easy to re-create nowadays.
A tip: take ideas from French decor to help inspire you. Also, you can base your style on Baroque, Neoclassical and even Rococo interiors.
Characteristics of the classical style
But, before we explain what the modern classic style looks like, we’re going to look at the original characteristics of the classic style itself.
Balance and warmth are the most important aspects of the classic style. Rooms decorated with this design will stand out for being spacious and bright. Also, symmetry is very important so you will often see many objects in pairs. This will increase the feeling of balance and proportion in the space.
Other important features:
- Chromatic range: a lot of cream colors, including grayish greens, light yellow, beige (of course). In short, neutral colors.
- Furniture: the furniture usually has turned legs. There are a lot of wing chairs, small tables, clothes racks, armchairs…
- Ceilings and walls: effect of grandiosity that’s increased by the high ceilings. You might see wallpaper on the walls, decorated with floral motifs. It’s common to see patterns in the plaster, border, moldings or finishes.
- Plants: there’s an enormous presence of plants, also used as decorative motifs (Arabesques) in curtains, carpets and upholstery
- Decorative objects: huge chandeliers, mirrors with elegant frames, paintings, lamps, sculptures…
- Emphasis on symmetry: objects will often be placed in a parallel manner, as if one were a reflection of the other.
- Materials: You’ll see a lot of wood (mahogany, oak…) and porcelain. You’ll also see glass, especially in decorative objects.
- Curtains: made with very long and heavy fabrics. Some of the most common fabrics are velvets and brocades: both may be used in the upholstery or the carpets, among other pieces.
This style isn’t just used for living rooms or bedrooms (although they’re probably the most common rooms), it can also be used for the kitchen or bathroom. Small objects like doorknobs and locks are details that will also help convey this design throughout your home.
Following all of these guidelines will help you decorate your home in a very rich and luxurious way.
Modern classic style decor
Next, we’ll show you how to combine the previous classic style with more modern ones. It’s common to mix this style with more contemporary designs. But don’t worry, it won’t lose its authentic touch.
To decorate with this modern classic style (or renewed classicism), think about the following innovative ideas:
- Chromatic range: the walls will be white. You can use contrasting furniture colors to liven the walls up with the two-color schemes like white/blue or white/black. Also, you could use metallic colors.
- Furniture: the important characteristic of the furniture are simple lines. You should put more modern furniture in the room. You can see it has a modern design by its shape, design or the type of material that it’s made of. Headboards are always a great addition.
- Walls and ceilings: keep the moldings, boards, borders, and texture-painted panels the same. If you have them, you should also take advantage of the beams, columns and pre-existing moldings.
- New materials: the woods you use will be lighter colored and will be fairly heavy. Shiny materials or stainless steel will also be important.
- Fabrics: as for fabrics, you have two options: plain or simple patterns that don’t attract too much attention. One exception is animal prints.
One more thing: pay attention to visual continuity. That means decorating the hallways, stairs, corridors and even the gardens with this style.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to get away from ‘traditional’ designs by mixing classic ideas with more modern styles, like industrial or Nordic. Although the result will have a classic character, it’ll be more innovative and have a more modern touch.
Also, don’t forget that you can always reuse and restore old objects and furniture that you no longer use. You can make a very original piece by doing this.
In order to follow this style, you’ll have to find the perfect combination between the past and the present. That’s how you’ll make your rooms timeless with this unforgettable style.