Advantages of Using Silk Sheets
In this article, we’ll be focusing on silk sheets. This material has become increasingly popular on the market in recent years. Among other things, this is because there has been an increasing demand for natural products. Plus, production methods have improved hugely.
Over time, the cost of producing silk has decreased enormously, so it’s now a lot more affordable. Today, it’s possible to buy silk bed sheets for around $40-50, although there are a lot more expensive ones out there. They’re no longer just for the richest among us, but are now affordable for a far greater proportion of the population.
When it comes to choosing your bed sheets, you don’t just need to think about the raw material that has been used. You also need to think about the type of weave, as it will determine how your bed sheets feel and how durable they are.
Some examples of different weaves are percale, sateen (which has a very similar texture to silk, although it’s actually made from cotton) or satin (nylon, polyester or silk). That’s why, when it comes to silk, people often confuse different materials and different weaves.
There are several different types, but today we’ll be talking about mulberry silk, which is named after the plant the silkworms feed on. When it comes to bed sheets, this is definitely the type we’d recommend, because of its strength and durability.
The advantages of silk bed sheets
Next, let’s take a look at some of the different advantages of this material. It is so versatile, and it’s sure to go perfectly with the decor in your bedroom.
- The first advantage is its unbelievably soft and smooth texture. It makes the feeling of getting into bed at night even better. What’s more, it’s not in the least bit slippery. It molds itself perfectly to the shape of your body.
Because it’s a natural product we’d definitely recommend it over any synthetic or artificial materials you might find in the world of textiles.
Plus, silk is actually better for your hair and skin. With silk sheets, there’ll no longer be any friction between you and your bed sheets, so you won’t find sheet wrinkles on your skin when you wake up in the morning. Plus, it will also stop your hair from getting tangled and broken. As a result, silk can actually help to slow down signs of ageing.
Additionally, it also adjusts perfectly to your body temperature, and will help to regulate it. As a result, you can stay cool in the warmest months of the year, and warm in the fall and winter. Another positive is that silk sheets can help to reduce humidity.
- What’s more, they are also effective against mites, bacteria and other bugs, so we highly recommend them for people with allergies or skin conditions.
We should also highlight just how breathable this material is. It will allow fresh air to flow through it at all times, even if you’re completely covered in it.
Silk sheets are known for their elegance, which is why they are considered luxury items.
- Finally, they are famous for their long life, which is why buying them is always a great investment.
Disadvantages of silk sheets
Although they have many advantages, silk sheets do have some disadvantages (although thankfully the price is no longer one of them).
- They need more care than other materials, which can put some people off from buying silk sheets. The good thing about needing to look after this delicate material, is that if you do, it will greatly increase its life.
Plus, they have very specific washing requirements. You should select the delicate wash option, and make sure it’s on a cold cycle. You’ll also need to use a washing detergent that is specifically for delicate items, with no toxic elements. The first few times you wash your sheets, we highly recommend doing it by hand. Whatever you do, make sure you read the instructions on the labels properly.
- Silk is a very strong material, but when damp, it loses 20% of its strength. Despite that, it does have a good moisture regain of approximately 11%.
- While it is strong, it is in no way elastic. What’s more, if you stretch it more than you should, it may take a long time for it to go back to its original shape, and it may not ever recover completely.
- Silk is sensitive to sunlight, so we don’t recommend letting it have prolonged exposure to the sun.
- It is also fairly susceptible to pests, like insects.
- Finally, silk is a very weak conductor of electricity. As a result, it can build up a static charge.
We hope that, after weighing up the pros and cons, you might consider buying yourself some silk sheets next time you go shopping. Don’t forget, they’re now so much more affordable. You can also find them online, which means you’ll have a lot more options to choose from. Obviously, you can combine your silk sheets with duvets and quilts made from other materials.It might interest you...