Wash Your Down Coat: The Tennis Ball Method
Today we want to share an incredible trick for washing your down coat at home in the washing machine. It uses a little-known trick called the tennis ball method. By doing this, you’ll save money on dry cleaning.
Equally, you’ll notice how easy it is to keep your coat clean and this method is risk-free too. So, you’ll have peace of mind, a clean coat, and reduce your dry cleaning bills! What’s not to love?
The tennis ball method: how to wash your down coat in the washing machine
There are a number of garments that are difficult to wash and, given the risk of damaging them, the best option is to send them to a specialist dry cleaner. This is also the case with coats that are made of special fabrics and materials, such as feathers. The latter can be damaged if the feather filling doesn’t dry properly after washing.
However, you can wash this type of down coat at home by using the tennis ball method. This little-known trick is starting to take social media by storm. Keep reading to learn more!
The tennis ball method: step-by-step instructions
- Use a mild, natural soap: remove any stains from your down coat before putting it in the wash. A gentle soap won’t damage the fibers of the coat and you can pass it over the collars, cuffs, and any area that needs treating.
- Close zippers and buttons: keep in mind that when it’s in the washing machine, your down coat will spin several times. Closing the zippers, poppers or buttons means the material won’t flap around and ruin the jacket itself during the wash cycle.
- Put the tennis ball method into action: place your coat in the washing machine and simply throw in a couple of tennis balls. You can also add liquid detergent, but don’t use fabric softener or other products.
- Start the wash on a delicate cycle: this cycle should be at a temperature of no more than 86 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make sure it dries thoroughly: after washing your down coat, the most important thing you can do is make sure it dries properly. You can use the dryer if you switch it to the delicate or down cycle. However, if you don’t want to use a dryer, simply hang the coat on a hanger and put it in a well-ventilated area. It’s important that all the moisture is removed during the drying process otherwise it can produce a musty odor.
What’s the trick behind using the tennis ball method?
Using tennis balls in the machine when washing your down coat is easy. Putting it into practice helps save money on dry cleaning and limits the amount of time you have to give to these delicate garments.
The tennis balls serve to prevent the feathers from clumping together during the spin cycle. This is achieved through the blows that the balls give as the drum of the machine moves. Moreover, this also prevents unwanted wrinkles and folds from appearing in your garments.
In fact, for this very reason, you can also use this method to wash your duvets, pillows, or cushions. By doing this, you’ll notice how fluffy and smooth they’ll be. Equally, using the tennis ball method also helps garments to dry faster.
Although you may think that the results will improve if you use more tennis balls, it’s enough to add two or three balls to obtain the results that we’ve discussed.
What do you think of the tennis ball method for washing your down coat?
We expect that you’ve never considered this option! Incredible to think that by using a couple of tennis balls, you can wash your down coat at home. Oblivious to this trick, most of us have always used a specialist dry cleaner to clean our down coats. Now you know, you can save money, and time and enjoy a clean, wrinkle-free, fluffy coat.It might interest you...