Too Much Junk In Your House? Time to Organize!
Keeping too many things in your house isn't going to make you feel better. It'll actually do the opposite. Making the mistake of accumulating too much junk without organizing any of it leads to lots of clutter!
When looking around your home, do you see lots of things that you don’t use and just keep in storage? It’s time to ask yourself if you have too much junk in your house. If the answer’s yes, you need to get organized!
First, you should stop and take a look at each room to improve the state of your home. You don’t want to keep things that you don’t use. This can lead to lots of clutter and mess.
You might think that every item might have a use in the future. While this might be true, if you do this with every object, you end up with lots of things in storage for years.
Too much junk – how it starts
When you buy a home and start a family, you generally decorate your home with all the things you need. Initially, you only get truly useful things. However, as the years go by, it’s easy to accumulate lots of stuff.
Normally, you’ll get new objects, furniture, or appliances. You’ll probably just incorporate new things into the home, rather than replacing what you already have. On the other hand, you might also keep what you don’t use anymore in a storage area or another room.
Instead of creating a cohesive space and getting rid of things, we tend to accumulate. You might constantly think, “I’d better keep this just in case…” Pretty soon, your house becomes a warehouse!
You don’t have to save everything. If you don’t use something, get rid of it!
Too much junk? Organize instead of accumulating
Organization is key! If you keep everything organized, you’re taking a big step towards the perfect home. Of course, you need to combine two important ideas: organization and getting rid of what you don’t need. Let’s take a look at some steps you can follow:
- If you’re going to include something in your home decoration, you need to make sure you really need it, it will be useful, or you just love how it looks. If you buy stuff without really thinking about it, you’re making a mistake.
- When it comes to furniture, if the piece is outdated or worn and you buy something new, don’t keep the old piece around! It’s time to get rid of it, clear out the space, and display the new piece of furniture.
- The same is true of appliances and kitchenware. If they’re in bad condition, why keep them when you know you’re not really going to use them?
- For clothes and other decorations, you can donate or recycle them. However, there’s sometimes a sentimental factor when it comes to these objects that makes you want to keep them. If you do decide to keep some old items, make sure you have a good organization system.
- If you have kids, you also need to teach them how to organize well. They should learn how to keep their toys tidy. Although this is difficult, in the long run, you’ll be glad you made the effort!
The storage room problem
One solution that never actually works is creating a storage room for all the things you accumulate. This isn’t a good idea because you never actually organize things and get rid of what you don’t need.
This space just becomes a dumping area for junk. At first, you might keep everything organized, but as the years go by, you’ll end up with stuff in every nook and cranny until it’s overwhelming.
Also, keep in mind that this is a very easy way to accumulate a lot of dust and dirt in your home as well. All the stuff piles up and becomes a big mess if you’re not careful! So the key is to use your storage room carefully and always keep it organized.
The advantages of having a well-organized home
To turn your home into an organized space, you need to remember these ideas: organization, getting rid of what you don’t need, and keeping your available space in mind. When all your rooms feel organized and decluttered, you’ll feel so much better!
Being comfortable in your home and stress-free is priceless. If you work on continually organizing, you won’t end up accumulating junk. So start organizing now so you can feel proud of your home!
- Kondo, Marie: La magia del orden, Aguilar, 2001.