The Dangers of Power Cords Coming into Contact with Furniture

Not establishing prevention and protection measures can cause household accidents. That’s why you have to be careful with power cords.
The Dangers of Power Cords Coming into Contact with Furniture

Last update: 12 December, 2020

You’re probably unaware of the dangers of power cords coming into contact with furniture. In fact, this can lead to serious household accidents. In this article, we’ll carefully analyze this problem and the possible solutions.

Most fires that occur in homes are usually caused by short circuits that could’ve been prevented. People only become aware of these issues after fires happen. This needs to change.

Human beings usually change things after they make a mistake. In fact, we’re often unaware of risks. For this reason, you must anticipate events and try to avoid being careless. Prevention is the best tool for a safe home.

Where people usually place power cords

A stripped cable connected to a power strip.

Generally, people place power cords behind furniture. They’re usually hidden since they aren’t pretty to look at and ruin the aesthetics of a room. Hiding cords can be dangerous.

For example, an old television with a damaged power cord. Contact with wooden furniture can lead to electrocution. You never know when an appliance may overheat and lead to an accident.

Just because power cords are hidden doesn’t mean you should neglect them. You should survey the area, make sure that there are no risks, and check that the power cords are in good condition to avoid potential dangers.

A safe home is synonymous with well-being.

Household accidents and other dangers

Power cords coming into contact with furniture can cause household accidents. They can occur when you least expect it. Below, we’re going to analyze the different possible dangers:

  1. As we mentioned above, short circuits are one of the most common. A simple spark can ignite anything and start a fire in no time.
  2. Power cords lying on the floor near a dining table or in the kitchen can become damaged due to splashes or spilled liquids. This is obviously a very big risk, even if they’re in good condition.
  3. Metal furniture that comes into contact with bare cables can conduct electricity. People are usually unaware of these kinds of dangers. However, they’re common in television furniture, table lamps, etc.
  4. Be very careful with appliances. They contain external wiring that’s hidden in the back. Any malfunction can damage the appliance or render it unusable.
  5. Also, power cords that are permanently connected to power strips tend to get excessively hot. Therefore, try to unplug them whenever possible. This is a way to prevent accidents and save money.

Be careful while you cook

A short circuit that set a fire.

While you’re cooking, you usually plug in a few appliances you need, such as a food processor, a juicer, a blender, etc. Simply make sure they’re in good condition and that they don’t pose risks.

As in the previous examples, a power cord might be damaged or located in a dangerous place: next to the stove, in a wet area, etc. A surface may burn, the appliance itself may break, or a fire may even occur.

Prevention measures

Undoubtedly, the best prevention measure is to check the condition of power cords and make sure that you buy quality appliances and power strips.

On the other hand, it’s also important for you to be careful. Caution is everything, and if you keep a close eye out in your home, you’ll protect yourself and your family and you’ll have a safe home.

When you detect that a power cord is in bad condition, you must change it or replace the entire appliance. If you keep using it, this can lead to an accident that could have been prevented or other unfortunate situations.

It might interest you...
Fire Safety Systems for the Home
Mi DecoraciónLeerlo en Mi Decoración
Fire Safety Systems for the Home

Although no one likes to think about it, it's important to protect your home against fires. We'll tell you about fire safety systems for the home.

 



  • Lindo Wallace, María Luisa: Técnicas del hogar, San José, Universidad Estatal a Distancia, 1996.