How to Waterproof Your Deck: Everything that you Need to Know
Are you looking for a way to improve your outdoor spaces at home while also preventing the problems that come with rainy days? You might want to consider waterproofing your deck.
We’ve all been through it: those stormy or windy days where our deck really gets hit.
Waterproofing your deck is an effective way to prevent damp and water from entering your home. So, how can you do it?
Waterproofing: what exactly is it?
Before you waterproof your deck, you should know exactly what this concept entails because it’s actually a lot more complicated than you might imagine.
First off, waterproofing can protect your floor or walls. The process aims to prevent surfaces and materials from degrading.
Waterproofing your deck doesn’t just protect it from humidity, it also protects the materials of the outer layers while keeping microorganisms and fungi from forming. It also helps aesthetically and plays a role in decor.
By waterproofing your deck, you could help protect it from destructive agents and keep your materials safe from humidity.
– Waterproofing lasts for many years. –
The waterproofing process
In order to have a better idea of how to waterproof a deck, we’ll walk through the steps for applying the necessary products for the job.
You’ll need to apply multiple layers for a successful result. So, invest in high-quality products and take the time to do things right.
- Analyze and know exactly where you want to waterproof. We recommend clearing objects and furniture off your deck completely.
- Cleaning the surface: of course, you need to clean your desk, even the nooks and crannies. By cleaning properly, you can have more success when applying finishing products.
- Pour the product onto the floor and spread it out with a roller. Try spreading it out efficiently, calmly without making things complicated. Remember, rushing won’t help you.
- Let the first product dry completely. If you notice that it’s still wet, give it more time to dry. Dry layers are the only way you can achieve a perfect base to continue the waterproofing process.
- Second-layer with fiber glass; its resilience offers a quality that’s second to none. Again, you’ll have to wait for it to dry completely before moving on.
- Lastly, a third layer with fiber glass or polyester will give your deck the resilience that it needs.
Other ways to waterproof
There’s another way to waterproof your deck and it involves liquid membrane. What’s so special about this innovative product?
Let’s take a look at what it is.
Liquid membrane looks like paint and its application is almost identical. However, when it dries, it becomes a top-notch elastic membrane. So, what’s it made out of?
Before you start waterproofing your deck
As we mentioned earlier on, you need to give the products enough time to dry completely before moving onto another layer. Don’t forget that there’s no rush, no hurry.
To allow for proper drying make sure that there are no adverse weather conditions forecast that could complicate things on the days following applications.
So, monitor the weather during the days when you’re working on your deck. Doing the job carefully will help you get things done efficiently.
However, if you’re thinking about starting in the summer, make sure to avoid the middle of the day when temperatures are high as it hinders floors from drying properly. Hot temperatures also prevent them from absorbing the products well.
If you’re only looking to waterproof cracks or small areas, you can use a fine-tipped applicator to reach trickier areas.
Some of the bigger brands
If you’re not familiar with waterproofing products, here are some of the biggest and more efficient brands:
Don’t hesitate to waterproof your deck. Use the best brands and enjoy successful results. Make your deck look better than ever while preventing damp areas and fungi. Your main goal is making your home a cleaner, healthier place.It might interest you...