How to Waterproof Your Deck: Everything that you Need to Know
Are you looking for a way to improve your outdoor spaces at home while also preventing the problems that come with rainy days? You might want to consider waterproofing your deck. We’ll show you everything you need to take into consideration.
We’ve all been through those stormy or windy days when our deck really gets hit. In fact, these weather conditions can produce damage both to the interior and exterior. Waterproofing your deck is an effective way to prevent moisture and water from entering your home. So, how can you do it?
Waterproofing: What exactly is it?
Before you waterproof your deck, you should know exactly what this concept entails because it’s actually a lot more complicated than you might imagine. First of all, you can waterproof the floor or walls. The process aims to prevent surfaces and materials from degrading.
Waterproofing your deck doesn’t just protect it from humidity, it also protects the materials of the outer layers while keeping microorganisms and fungi from forming. It also improves the aesthetics of your deck and plays a role in the decorative style. By waterproofing your deck, you can help protect it from destructive agents and keep your materials safe from humidity.
– Waterproofing lasts for many years. –
So, if you want your outdoor wood decking to remain a beautiful and vibrant color, you must first learn how to stain your deck properly. This will help the wood tone stay intact for a longer period of time after the waterproofing.
Over the years (and with them, hundreds of sunny and cloudy days), it’s normal for the tone of your deck’s wood to become worn and dull. So, if you want to give stain your deck, it’s essential that you do it before waterproofing. Otherwise, it will be impossible for the color to penetrate the wood.
The application process
In order to have a better idea of how to waterproof a deck, we’ll walk you through the steps for applying the necessary products for the job. Keep in mind that you’ll need to apply multiple layers for successful results. Remember that it’s better to invest in high-quality products and take the time to do things right.
- Analyze and discover exactly where you want to waterproof. We recommend clearing objects and furniture off your deck completely.
- Clean the surface: Of course, you need to clean your desk, even the nooks and crannies. By cleaning properly, you can have more success when applying finishing products.
- Pour the product onto the floor and spread it out with a roller. Try to spread it out efficiently and calmly, without making things complicated. Remember that rushing won’t help you when it comes to waterproofing.
- Let the first product dry completely. If you notice that it’s still wet, give it more time to dry. Dry layers are the only way you can achieve a perfect base to continue the waterproofing process.
- Apply a second layer with fiberglass. The resilience of this material offers a quality that’s second to none. Again, you’ll have to wait for it to dry completely before moving on.
- Lastly, apply a third layer with fiberglass or polyester to give your deck the resilience that it needs.
Other ways to waterproof
There’s another way to waterproof your deck that involves a liquid membrane. What’s so special about this innovative product? Let’s take a look at what it is.
Liquid membrane looks like paint and its application is almost identical. However, when it dries, it becomes a top-notch elastic membrane. So, what’s it made out of?
Before you start waterproofing your deck
As we mentioned earlier on, you need to give the products enough time to dry completely before moving on to another layer. Don’t forget that you need to you should work calmly. There’s no rush.
To allow for proper drying, make sure that there are no adverse weather conditions in the forecast that could complicate things on the days following applications. So, monitor the weather during the days when you’re working on your deck. Doing the job carefully will help you get things done efficiently.
However, if you’re thinking about starting in the summer, make sure to avoid the middle of the day when temperatures are high, as this hinders the floors from drying properly. Hot temperatures also prevent them from absorbing the products well. If you’re only looking to waterproof cracks or small areas, you can use a fine-tipped applicator to reach trickier areas.
Some of the most well-known brands
If you’re not familiar with waterproofing products, here are some of the most well-known and efficient brands:
Don’t hesitate to waterproof your deck using the best brands in order to enjoy successful results. Make your deck look better than ever while preventing damp areas and fungi. Your main goal is to make your home a cleaner, healthier place. So, what are you waiting for? Get ready to renew your spaces and protect them from external conditions.It might interest you...