Decorative Vinyls for your House - our Top Tips
Decorative vinyls have become a fantastic, high quality alternative to paint. But they’re not just for walls – you can also use them to decorate more unusual places, like domestic appliances and even floors.
Vinyls are no longer just “a bunch of stickers”; they have become a decorative option with so many high-quality designs that you can enjoy for years to come.
The best thing is that there are infinite possibilities available on the market today, and you also have the option of personalizing your vinyls.
This makes decorative vinyls an even greater resource that can give your rooms so much character. In today’s article, we’ll talk about the different types, and give you some ideas on where you can put them.
What are decorative vinyls?
Decorative vinyls are made of plastic. In very simple terms, you might say they’re a type of sticker.
Usually silhouettes or figures, they bring so much energy to a room and are designed to make the most of the empty space on walls or other surfaces.
One of the best things about them is that, because they are plastic, they are super easy to maintain and clean. They’re also resistant to humidity.
It’s important that you stick vinyls to a flat surface. For example, don’t try to stick them to a textured wall.
An important thing to keep in mind is that you should always try to choose the highest quality materials to ensure that your vinyls will last and won’t peel off the walls.
We should also make the distinction between decorative vinyls, photo wallpaper and painted wall paper. Sometimes people mix these three up, because all three are usually used to decorate walls.
Firstly, as we’ve already said, vinyls are simple decorative shapes which form a silhouette or outline. This allows us to play around with the different surfaces we stick them to. They are usually made of plastic.
Photo wallpaper, on the other hand, is made from large scale photographs. It doesn’t interact with the surface, but instead takes up the whole space. The material used is photo paper, making it less durable and less resistant to humidity.
Finally, as the name suggests, wallpaper is a type of paper which is stuck to walls. It can be smooth or textured. It’s resistance to humidity will depend on the type of material used.
Types of decorative vinyls
There is a wide range of possibilities when it comes to decorative vinyls. There are lots of companies who specialize in making vinyls these days, and you can also find them in many online shops.
Some of the most common designs are:
- Phrases and Quotations: these are the perfect way to motivate you in the morning. You can also put them up in the entrance hall as a motivator before you leave the house.
- Animals: these are especially common in children’s bedrooms.
- Textures: sand, bricks etc.
- Chalkboard: yes, there are chalkboard vinyls that you can write on. They are perfect for the kitchen for example, or in children’s rooms.
- Personalized: many shops and manufacturers will allow you to personalize your decorative vinyls. You simply send them a high-resolution image and they will take care of the rest. This is a great option if you want to add a touch of character to your room, using an image, photograph or quote that you really love.
Where to put them
There are no rules or limits on where you can put your decorative vinyls.
It’s true that we normally see them on walls, but your own creativity and imagination will influence your final decision on where to put them. So basically, you can put them wherever you want.
Here are just some ideas:
- Walls (obviously): above your bed, in your entrance hall, living room, kitchen, bedrooms etc.
- Stairs: yes, you read that right. As you walk up the stairs, you can read a quotation, or look at an image or illustration.
- Bathroom: there are some special decorative vinyls which are perfect for the bathroom. The idea is to put them on the windows or the shower screen.
- Domestic appliances
- Floor: this idea is perfect for children’s bedrooms or kitchens.
Decorative vinyls are a creative decorative item, and a simple, entertaining and personal way to decorate your home.
Plus, there are so many designs, and an infinite number of places to put them.It might interest you...