Projects Using Wood Stains
One way to change your home's decoration is by changing the furniture. You can apply a new color and renew each piece's appearance.
Challenges in home decoration can become personal challenges as well. If you want to bring some stand out color ideas to your home, consider some projects using wood stains.
One way to differentiate between elements is color. Of course, shapes, sizes, and the element itself end up playing an important part, but everything will look better if you go for a defined aesthetic.
At the same time, you need to pay attention to the type of products you use since you don’t want to damage any materials. Therefore, you must know what to choose, how to use, and how it will contribute to your interior design.
What are wood stains?
One way to create a cohesive color on your furniture is through wood stains. Generally, you can use these varnishes as a way to achieve an attractive, optimal finish so that the wood is sealed.
These products are very absorbent and saturate the material. As a result, you can protect the material and get a particular color. There is a wide range of options so you can choose the tone you like the most.
Stains also help highlight the grain. But be aware – if it says quick-drying, you should make sure it’s effective. Generally, the absorption and drying process must be slow to be effective.
It’s time to change the appearance of your wood furniture.
How do you apply wood stains?
The dyes need to be combined with special products that help them dissolve. You can’t use water though. Let’s take a closer look at this process:
- The first thing you need to know is how to make the mixture. Alcohol, varnish, and solvent are suitable for this. You combine them in the same container so you can use them properly.
- When you put on the first coat, it will be distributed unevenly. This is normal for a first coat.
- You can control the tone of the stain, depending on how light or dark you want it. It’s important to know ahead of time what look you’re going for.
- You should apply wood stains with a roller, brush, or spray. This way you’ll get a more uniform distribution. Alternatively, a sponge doesn’t work well since it absorbs a lot of the stain.
- It’s important to apply a sealing lacquer after the stain. This will ensure that the surface is properly protected. It’s the best way to get a good finish.
Hydroalcoholic wood stains
These types of stains can be mixed with water and alcohol. What makes them unique? Mainly, the wood absorbs them well and protects the surface. You must sand the surface well before starting to work.
There are several color options, such as cherry, mahogany, or pine. Another interesting option is that these colors can also be mixed, creating more unique tones. The final results and how it will look in your home is up to you!
Thirty minutes after applying the stain, the wood will be dry. Finally, you’ll need to apply a sealing lacquer for proper protection. The brilliance and lucidity you’ll get will be captivating, creating a natural and subtle look.
Your furniture will look polished and elegant.
Where do you buy wood stains?
You can find these products at your local hardware store. They may even mix them for you by hand. However, we recommend you buy a high-quality one to get the perfect look.
Larger stores also sell top brands and have a wide range of colors. When you’re choosing tones, it’s best to look for subdued shades so you don’t end up with a mess that doesn’t fit your style. Once you apply the stain, you can’t remove it.