Making Decor Pieces Using Can Tabs
Through ingenuity and creativity, you can make interesting decoration pieces using material as simple as can tabs.
Any object can have a place in your home. As long as it works in an appropriate way, you can create decor pieces with almost anything. In this article, we’re going to talk about decorating with can tabs.
At first glance, no one would think about using them for decoration. It seems that they’re simply pieces of aluminum that have no other function but to open a can. However, with imagination and creativity, you can create amazing things for your home with these little objects.
A while ago people would make jewelry with can tabs; you’d see pendants, earrings, bracelets all made out of them. Why not give them another purpose and beautify your house with them? Here are some interesting ideas.
A table lamp decorated with can tabs
Our first example is a very simple one since you can make it by hand very easily. You don’t need to make a huge effort – and the result is really interesting!
- The first thing you should do is recycle as many can tabs as possible. Have at least 150.
- Make a cut at the bottom (on the narrowest side) and insert two tabs around it, and tie them together.
- The purpose of this is to form a cylindrical-shaped network of can tabs.
- If you want, you can paint them, or leave them in their original metallic gray color. This will depend on the aesthetic you wish to give your lamp.
- Insert a bulb inside. You’ll see how the light radiates from different places thanks to the holes that each tab has.
Make some interesting curtains
Another way to decorate with can tabs is by joining them together to shape a curtain.
- First of all, you need to make a cut on one side of each tab in order to connect another to it. This is a very simple process but it takes patience.
- Then, keep in mind where they’ll be placed. It’s important that you know the measurements so that all the chains are of the same length.
- Once you’re done with the manual work, you have to hook them up using a thin bar. This curtain can be placed at the entrance to the kitchen, storage room or pantry.
A square-shaped pencil holder
You can also make a pencil holder, you just have to make a hook system between the can tabs.
- Collect as many can tabs as you can.
- Join them with small rubber bands, so that they are tight to the point where movement is impossible.
- Make a deep square or rectangular design. You’re going to need to make at least four horizontal rows.
- Once it’s strong enough, make a base for it. You can also leave it baseless and let the pencils touch the table.
A curved bowl made out of can tabs
Not all objects have to be rectangular. You can fold and manipulate can tabs to make them adopt a concave format. You can make different-shaped bowls with this material.
- Try to attach the tabs in the same way as with the lamp. Make a cut in the narrowest part of the piece and join them together.
- To give the bowl a curved shape, you have to make a slight bend – but be very careful so that it doesn’t break! Little by little, you’ll see how it starts to get a curved shape.
- It’s important that you have a base and a circular opening at the top.
An original mirror frame
Lastly, another great idea is to make a mirror frame. Bear in mind that the frame may end up being even more eye-catching than the mirror itself.
The tabs can be intertwined in the same way as with the other ideas. You can also glue them onto a surface in order to give them a metallic, creative and truly original look.
As you can see, you can give an artistic feel to an object that is usually only functional.